Breast Lift w/ Implants & Mini Tummy Tuck - When Can I Sit in the Sun?

How Long After a Breast Lift with Implants and a Mini Tummy Can You Sit out in the Sun?

Breast lift w/ implants & mini tummy tuck - when can I sit in the sun?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 6 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Sun Tanning and Surgery Scars

+1

In our San Francisco Bay Area practice patients regularly ask us when we recommend they go tanning  (indoor and outdoor) before and after their cosmetic surgeries. While we never recommend tanning, we generally advise that patients refrain from all tanning from two weeks prior until one month after surgical procedures. Scars that are better protected from the sun tend to have a less noticeable appearance than ones that are exposed to the sun so we also recommend covering/protecting scars for at least up to a year.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Sun tanning after surgery

+1

Sun tanning is not good period. But if you are going out in the sun with new scars, it is best to cover them with sun block.