How Long After a Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck Would I Be Safe to Move out of State?

I'm scheduled for a breast lift and revision tummy tuck on Jan 17th. that's the soonest they could book me. I had originally planned to move back home to NJ from NE around that time because I thought I'd surely be able to have my surgery sooner than January. I'm wondering how long would I need to stick around post surgery before it would be safe for me to go? Weeks? Months?

Traveling after surgery

+2

How soon you can travel after surgery depends on the extent of the surgery you are undergoing. If it is just a breast lift you could travel in 3-4 days. If it is just liposuction you could travel in 3-4 days. BUT, if it is a tummy tuck with drains and muscle plication it would be a couple of weeks before you should travel. Also, make sure you have a new PS ready to see you in NJ in case of any unforeseen problems.

Good Luck!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

+1

If the tummy tuck revision is minor, then travel after a few days may be reasonable. I would ask your surgeon this question. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Travel after surgery

+1

I would wait a good 3-4 weeks after undergoing surgery prior to moving out of state. Best to ask your plastic surgeon if he/she has a colleague to refer you to in your new hometown who could follow you as needed. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck revision and breast lift. Travel

+1

This question is very hard to answer as you have not stated what the revision is going to involve. If it is a scar revision of the tummy tuck and a breast lift, you can time the visits for a couple of weeks after your surgery and travel without issue if there are no impending problems. I operate on patients from many states away so it would not be out of line to travel for your visits. I do not think you need to time your move with the surgery. If you want to seek another ps in your new area, then it would be easy. I am assuming that you trust your ps so I would guess that your ps would work with you on this. It is not like you are moving to California. A 4-6 hour drive is not out of line for a meaningful visit. We like to make each visit productive so many times you can supplement your visits with pics/emails/phone calls and make sure that your visits are limited and productive.

In summary, if you were my patient then I would work with you living anywhere within reason. Talk to your ps about the timing of your surgery too. Waiting till Jan for a more simple procedure like you are describing (assumption of course) seems quite far down the line unless the original surgery was done by this ps. If so, then the ps might want you to stay for another reason and they might want you to wait some time to evaluate changes in the original tummy tuck to allow for a more precise procedure of revision. In any event, even this would not stop a move that you would be planning.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon