Underwire Bra After Breast Augmentation

I have recently undergone breast augmentation, with the implants positioned under the breast tissue. I was wondering how long after breast augmentation, is it acceptable to wear an UNDERWIRE bra?

Underwire bras after breast augmentation

+2

I would recommend contacting your surgeon and ask them what their preference is.  My preference is usually to avoid an underwire for 3 months but there are exceptions especially in revisionary cases.  Another exception is if the scar is not in the fold.  If that is the case I often allow an underwire 6 weeks after the surgery.

Bloomington Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bra after a breast augmentation

+1
You should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon. All plastic surgeons will have a different routine for post operative care. Your plastic surgeon understands your surgery and your anatomy and is in the best position for making this decision. Some plastic surgeons like underwire bras others want you to avoid their use.

Under wire bra after breast augmentation

+1

I generally have my patients wait 5-6 weeks after breast augmentation to start wearing an under wire bra. If at that time, they are comfortable wearing one, it is OK.  If the pressure from the wire causes discomfort, I have them wait a few more weeks.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

UNDERWIRE BRAS

+1

There are no steadfast rules on when you should be able to wear an underwire bra.  In my practice it depends on the incision used to perform the surgery.  If you have an incision in the breast fold, I have my patients wait 6 weeks. My concern is irritation of the incision while it is healing.  If the incision is elsewhere I allow my patients to begin wearing an underwire bra sooner.  I would check with your surgeon to see what is his preference.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bra after augmentation

+1

Your surgeon knows best what to recommend. It depends on where the incision is and what degree of support and "molding" the surgeon is trying to accomplish based on your anatomy and what was done at the time of surgery. If I place the incision in the crease under the breast, I do not allow an underwire for 6 weeks after surgery so as to protect the incision until it is well healed. If your surgeon lowered your infra mammary folds, he may need good support of the new fold level, and in such cases I use a bra with a snug fitting band but no underwire. There are other circumstances, such as constricted breasts, where other "molding" support options may be important. In other words, as is often the case, the surgeon who actually did your surgery is the best person to answer your question...if you trusted him or her to do your surgery, you would hopefully trust their advice on your post-op care.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

After about a month!

+1

Scars on the inside and outside take about 6 weeks to become the strongest they will ever be.  Therefore, you should wait about this amount of time until your augmentation is strong and the shape settled before using an under wire bra. 

Bivik Rajnikant Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bras after surgery.

+1

Each surgeon has his/own opinion on when you are able to wear underwire bras.  I typically wait until 3 months after surgery.

Breast Augmentation

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

I would confer with your surgeon to find out his/her preference, as timelines vary from practitioner to practitioner. In my practice, I require all breast augmentation patients to wear a surgical bra for a period of 4 weeks, and breast lift/breast reduction patients for 8 weeks. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Underwire bra after surgery

+1

While every surgeon has his or her own preferences, our rule is to avoid underwire bras for 4 weeks after surgery with an infra-mammary incision.

We've never had an issue with not waiting for 6 weeks, as many of my colleagues here seem to suggest.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Underwire bra after breast augmentation

+1

Typically, I perform breast augmentations in Dallas or in Plano and in both my suggestion is to avoid a bra for 6 weeks if it's high, to use one if it's in the right place and to avoid an underwire bra for six weeks to not irritate the incision.  It's critical that the incision be barely visible.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD