How Long After Breast Aug. Do You Have to Wait to Get Laser Treatment on Stretch Marks?

I recently had breast augmentation and I had some old white stretch marks seem more visible now that my skin has been stretched. My surgeon said I should wait at least 9 months to get laser treatment to the stretch marks so my skin has time to settle and heal. Is this true? I was just wanting a second opinion because I really wanted to have it done before summer of this year.

Wait 9 months after breast implants for laser rx of stretch marks

+1

I would completely agree with your surgeon to wait at least 9 months for swelling and healing to settle prior to contemplating laser freatment for stretch marks.

Stretch marks after augmentation

+1

If your breast have healed well, I do not see a reason why you could not have laser treatment of your stretch marks by 3-6 months.

Stretch Marks- When to get Laser Treatment?

+1

If the stretch marks are still flat white (and not bright red again like they were when they first appeared) then the answer might be...never.

Laser treatments for stretch marks are pretty good at getting 'red stripes' to turn into 'white stripes', but nothing will make a white stripe completely go away.  Red stretch marks can happen after breast augmentation, but usually only in younger patients (under age 24) who have tight skin before surgery.  It is difficult to make the appearance of white stretch marks significantly better.  Think of them as skin scars, which is what they are- the skin actually tore because it could not keep up with the growth occurring underneath (which is why it is commonly seen at puberty in the breasts and buttocks, and over the abdomen during pregnancy, and the breasts during lactation).  Some laser treatments may help silvery white stretch marks look plain white, but nothing can make them go away completely (yet).  There are some experimental treatments that are being tested that may have some benefits in the future, but they are not ready for prime time.

Claudio DeLorenzi, MD