How Long After Botox Injection Can You Put Pressure on the Injection Site?

I have had botox put by a scar that is healing i was using therapy compression on scar, I wanted to ask how long after injection can you put the compression back on safely without disturbing botox injection

Pressure on injection site after Botox

+2

Within 20 to 90 minutes after neurotoxins such as Botox, Dysport and Xeomin are injected, botulinum neurotoxin type A can be detected inside the motor nerve endings. Therefore the muscles and nerve endings take up the Botox, Dysport or Xeomin very quickly before they can spread far from the injection site. I tell my patients they are free to do anything they choose without restriction 1 1/2 to 2 hours after their injections.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Injection Site Pressure

+2

Kauri

Botox is rapidly absorbed at the injection site and blocks the facial nerves from stimulating the facial muscles.   There should be no problems putting pressure on the injection site after 24 hours.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pressure on Botox Injection Site

+2

Botox is taken up fairly rapidly at the injection site.  You should be fine to resume pressure by the next day.  Please call your injector if you have further questions.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Great question to ask the person who injected you.

+2

I would think that by the next day would be OK.  However, I did not inject you or examine you.  Presumably the physician who injected you did.  I would call the doctor's office, have them paged and directly ask the doctor this questions.  They should not be too busy to address this important question.

Wait a couple of hours after Botox treatment

+1
Avoid touching or rubbing the area(s) targeted for a couple of hours after your treatment, however to be on the safe side you should wait until the next day before applying therapy compression. This is to minimize the risk of the injected BOTOX® spreading to muscles that were not targeted during your treatment.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Pressure after Botox

+1

Botox is rapidly absorbed by the muscle. I generally tell my patients that they can put pressure on the injection site after about two hours. Gentle direct pressure is not likely to cause the Botox to migrate, but massage might be more likely to cause it to spread further than is desired.

James M. Kurley, MD
Champaign Plastic Surgeon

Botox and compression

+1

I would suggest waiting 24 hours to be sure.  What  is the rush to palce the compression back on so quickly?  Granted it is probably safe within 3-4 hours but no one has done studies that I am aware of to confirm that.

Botox and scar dressings

+1

There should be no reason that you couldn't use the dressing the day after, if not four hours after, botox injections.

Ronald Shelton, MD

2 days

+1

Botox is absorbed rapidly, but, just to be on the safe side to avoid pushing it int an area you don't want it to go, I would wait 48 hours.  You're not going to lose any significant ground in your scar treatment.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon