How Long After a Bbl and Breast Implants Can I Get I Enjoy the Beach and Pool?

Thinking about going to DR for bbl and breast implants. I will be staying for 2 weeks and was hoping after a week I can at least Enjoy the beach. I know the pool might be pushing it.

Better Safe than Sorry

+1

The beach, sand and even chlorinated water can be loaded with bacteria.  Exposure to those environments with healing incisions can invite an infection.  Your best option is to stay away from swimming and sunbathing for at least six weeks.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Can plastic surgery and vacations mix?

+1

Don't plan to go to the beach at all if you plan to go abroad for plastic surgery.  Its an invitation for complications.

How will you know how to pick a competent surgeon at that location?  What will the standards be in the operating room?  Can you really tell?  Don't assume that the standards we have in the US will be practiced abroad necessarily.  Why would you want to take that risk for something as important as you appearance?

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Traveling out of the country for your plastic surgery

+1

Like the others, I strongly advice against traveling out of the country for your plastic surgery. There is a reason why it is so much cheaper. Also, who will you followup with? What if you have a problem? It will cost you significantly more if you need to see a US plastic surgeon to deal with any complications of your surgery. If you have specific questions about your surgery and recovery, you should ask your surgeon as they will have specific recommendations for you.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Strongly advise against it!

+1

If you want to go to the beach and pool then don't have surgery and vice versa.  I don't know why people think they can have surgery and enjoy a vacation at the beach.  The question for you is are you prepared go back to the DR for treatment of complications or problems, because most plastic surgeons will charge more than the original surgery would cost if you need follow up in the US.  Make your decision wisely and not just on initial cost and the possibility of a week frolicing at the beach.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Medical tourism

+1

Hi,

i strongly agree with the others here. don't travel for surgery! Safety standards are NOT the same. Unless you are from the DR and know the system, it can be risky as to who you can trust. 

furthermore, everyone has the occasional complication, wound issue, etc... Who will care for you in the event of a complication? Any savings that you may have had will be lost when you need to see another PS here or have to fly back and forth for wound care. 

As far as the beach, you want to keep out of the water for a MINIMUM of 6 weeks and keep sunblock on all the areas. Sun exposure can worsen your scars and cause darkening that can be very difficult to treat. 

Be safe! 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Brazilian Buttlift and Beach and Pool

+1

I do not recommend exposure to sunlight for any of the scars for the first year.  In addition, no pools or the like should be entered until wound healing is complete, which will take at least 6 weeks.  The last thing you want is an infection following either one of these procedures.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Traveling to Dominican For Surgery

+1

Having surgery in another country than you live is not a good idea!  You can develop complications after any surgical procedure weeks out from surgery.  If you do and your doctor is another country, what are you going to do?  This might seem like a nice way to save money, but gambiling on your health is never worth it.

Sacha Obaid, MD