Dental Work One Week After Boob Surgery?

Hi I had my surgery in Friday.... the Friday after aka one week post op my mom who is a dentist did some minor dental work... she worked on a filling around my crown and my gums were tender and bleeding.... I was still on antibiotics from the pc at the time if the dental work... that morning I took my antibiotic and the saturday after as well.... Do I need to fear capsule contraction since my mom did dental work one week post op... my mom said there was minor bleeding and I shouldn't fear...?

Dental work one week after breast augmentation

+1

there is no data showing the need for antibiotic prophylaxis with dental work after breast augmentation.

Dental work after breast surgery

+1

There are no studies that have shown the requirement for prophylaxis during dental procedures if a patient has had breast augmentation.

Can dental work cause capsular contracture?

+1

Dear Lovestar

Interesting question! As some other plastic surgeons have commented on, there is anecdotal evidence of a relationship between dental work (which can cause a release of bacteria into the bloodstream) and capsular contracture. In fact, I know of two patients who had the sudden onset of capsular contracture within 2-weeks of significant dental work - coincidence? As it stands, there is no absolute scientific evidence, but the fact that you were still on antibiotics at the time of your dental work should cover you and minimise your risk. Perhaps it was a bit early to have the work done, but on the other hand, at least it was during the time you were on antibiotics!

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Dental Work After Breast Augmentation

+1

At the current time there is no scientific literature to support that there is a need for dental prohylaxis for patients with breast implants. Having said that I did have the pleasure of sitting in on a lecture this past weekend with a world renowned expert on the biofilm theory behind capsular contracture. Look it up and read a little about it. It is just a theory, but one that I do believe in.  I do not feel in anyway that you have put yourself at risk, but I would like to have seen you wait a bit longer. At this lecture I did see some compelling data that points to our adenoids harboring a very large amount of bacteria. Since the biofilm theory centers around bacteria being a possible cause of capsular contracture I do feel better if my patients wait several months to have dental work done once the capsule is fully formed. Again, no hard scientific data as of yet on this but it will be coming forward soon. So enjoy your augmentation, I do not think you caused any harm, but it is an interesting concept to appreciate and I do tell  my patients to wait 3 months if possible after augmentation before having dental work. No need for antibiotics prior to dental work, yet!!!!
--

Richard J. Brown, MD

Dental Work Should Probably Be Delayed Longer Than 1 Week After Augmentation

+1

Although it remains somewhat controversial, most plastic surgeons give a single dose of antibiotics prior to augmentation and do not suggest prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures.  Having said this, I too would have recommended waiting a bit longer than a week following your augmentation for the dental work.

John Whitt, MD

Dental Work after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I do not think that “fear” is warranted in your situation,  in that this emotion is not necessarily productive.  Chances are much greater that you will not have problems with breast implant encapsulation ( related to the dental work)  then you will. Remember, there is no hard science that demonstrates a direct relationship between the two.

My suggestion would be that you enjoy the results of the surgery.

+1

I would have recommended a longer delay after your breast surgery. There is not much data to prove one way or another--but avoiding a showering of bacteria, which occurs with dental work, is best during the early post-op period. 

Thanks and best wishes.