3 Weeks After Pinning Back of Left Ear? (photo)

this is my left ear after getting it pinned back to match my right ear the left ear stuck out a lot more and had flat cartilage. As you can see it looks a lot different to my right ear i think the middle part of the ear is pinned back to much as you can't see the helix of the ear i know you still got a wait awhile but i can't see this getting better with time?

Unilateral Ear Pinning

+1

Unilateral correction of prominent ear deformity will be different from the other side, and the repair will relax with time.  You may be very happy at 3 months.  Kenneth Hughes, Md ear pinning surgery Los Angeles, CA

Unilateral otoplasty and perfect symmetry

+1

are quite difficult to accomplish.  The primary goal, if you were my patient, would be to simply diminish the protrusion so it did not draw unwanted attention.  Regardless, 3 weeks is too early to judge your results and your ear will relax with time and your results will be closer to the opposite side.  If they really are off, you should discuss this with your surgeon when you have your post-op photos taken and if obvious, an honest surgeon will acknowledge it and present options for you to consider, possibly at more cost to you.

Unilateral Otoplasty Asymmetry

+1

Your concerns are common after a unilateral otoplasty. Many surgeons overcorrect the protruding or prominent side as they can have a tendency to spring back with time. Address your concerns to your surgeon but, please be patient. 3 weeks could be a bit early to be thinking about revisional surgery. If you still have the asymmetry at 3 to 4 months then, request your options from your original surgeon. If you are not satisfied consider a second option from a local ASAPS member. They are experts in corrective Cosmetic Surgery. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Overcorrection of middle third of ear at pinnaplasty/otoplasty

+1

Hi

This is unfortunately a known complication of correction of ears. Whether it will improve or not will depend on the technique use to correct your ear. However, it will be reasonable to wait for a few months to see how it settles first.

If you are still unsatisfied after six months, please post some new photos and also try to find out what technique your surgeon used.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Overcorrection After Otoplasty: A Common Finding Which Improves With Time

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  It seems from the photos that your left ear is overcorrected at this time.  It is necessary to overcorrect to some extent in an effort to match the ears.  This is due to the fact that the corrected ear will come back out to some degree in the first 3 to 6 months after surgery.  If sutures were used to create a better ear fold, the fold will soften and become less prominent.  If the central third of your ear was simply set back, the cartilage will tend to spring back out over time, making the helix more visible.  At this point, I would sit tight, stay calm, and consult with your doctor.  At six months if there is a significant difference, under local anesthesia, your doctor may be able to release a suture or two and assist.   Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.drbresnick.com/ear-reshaping-otoplasty-los-angeles/

Otoplasty

+1

Hopefully, your surgeon did not tell you they would be perfectly symmetric, as that is impossible. That said, it is still way too early. It is necessary to over tighten the newly created antihelical fold (middle third). The extent of the over correction depends on the technique used, but it will soften over the next several months (the exact time frame depends on the technique and type of sutures used). Fortunately, the conchal bowl was not over trimmed which is a common mistake that is difficult to correct. Hang in there. It's going to look great.

Honolulu Facial Plastic Surgeon