Pointy/Flared Nostrils Treatment? (photo)

Hi there, I really like my nose, but one thing that bothers me is that I seem to have very pointy, flared nostrils which I feel ruins my whole nose. I think the "after" picture of rihanna uploaded is what I somewhat desire for my nose. How can i solve this? And for solutions made what are the pros and cons? Thanks

Alar base modification for reducing flared nostrils

+2

The flare of your nostrils can be improved with alar base modification.  Incisions are designed to hide in the groove between your nostrils and your cheeks, and a wedge of tissue is removed to reduce the flare of your nostril.  Fine sutures are used to close the incision.   

Possible cons?  Visible scarring and unnatural appearance from overly aggressive resection.  When carefully designed and meticulously performed these incisions are well-healed and result in a natural, but less flared curvature.  

Flared nostrils can be corrected with alarplasty procedure

+2

Alarplasty, also known as alar base reduction, is a good technique to correct wide and flaring nose wings.  This is a common finding in African Americans and Asian noses.  The procedure can be done with local anesthesia alone or with intravenous sedation.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Alar base reduction

+2

It looks like she may have had an alar base reduction during her rhinoplasty. That is a reasonable request.

Pointy/Flared Nostrils Treatment

+1

Hi,

Nostril surgery is notoriously unforgiving so make sure you choose a surgeon with alot of experience with African American rhinoplasty.  You may benefit from an intra-sill nostril reduction.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Treatment of Flared Nostrils with Alar Base Reduction or Modification

+1

Thank you for your question and the photo. It looks like Rihanna has had a rhinoplasty with tip reduction, rotation, and alar base reduction. This last part of her procedure can be done separately, and is used to reduce the size of the nostrils, the flaring of the nostrils, and improve the shape and symmetry of the nasal tip. Please see a rhinoplasty expert to discuss your options.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for pointy/flared nostrils

+1

According to the pictures presented, narrowing of the nostrils with alarplasty would probably be all that is necessary for this nose.  A small 4 mm incision is made at the floor of the nostril, removal of skin and narrowing of the nostrils is accomplished under a local anesthesia.

+1

Your posted photos are slightly out of focus and to see the "pointed" alar flare hard to see. Best to obtain in person evaluations from boarded surgeons in your city.