Is It Possible in Anyway to Permanently Stop Rosacea Facial Flushing?

Since 18 I have started to to get a deep red, hot facial flush every time I get too hot, too cold, embarrassed, aroused or when I am exercising which is deeply humiliating for my especially in public. If that wasn't bad enough the flushing also highlights my acne scars and makes them painfully obvious. I have also read that rosacea worsens over time if untreated. I am 20 now and desperate to find the best solution since this has had a massive impact on my life. Please Help.

Sometimes it's hard to imagine having a chronic medical condition that needs

+2

treatment on a regular basis...especially when you're so young...but that's the current reality of the type of rosacea you seem to be suffering with...but make the best of it...try to avoid whatever triggers the flushing...less hot coffee, limit alcohol, cooler showers, etc...and avoid getting too cold during the winter months...and consider at least temporarily switching to walking or exercise in front of a fan and stop every ten minutes or so for a glass of cool water...and by far the best option...at present VBeam laser...and you'll probably need periodic retreatments with the frequency dependent on how good you keep your body temperature under control...but things are looking up...new therapies probably will address your concerns within the next year or so...

Rosacea Options

+2

Hi OR.  Unfortunately Rosacea is not a condition that can be cured or stopped completely.  The best way to slow it's development is to avoid the common triggers below:

Alcohol, spicy foods, caffeine, heavy exercise, saunas, hot tubs and sun and wind exposure.

While I would never suggest that you stop exercising, understanding that this is a trigger for flushing is important.

For treatment, you should consider oral and topical medications first and if those are not working, consider pulsed dye laser treatments.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Stopping rosacea redness

+2

Rosacea is something that is managed, not cured. There are a variety of treatments available - oral and topical products, laser therapies, light treatments, etc. Many times we use a combination of treatments for each person, addressed at targeting that specific patient's triggers. It would be best for you to see a dermatologist who specializes in traditional and cosmetic dermatology.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Treatment to Minimize Rosacea

+1

Unfortunately, there is no permanent solution for curing rosacea, but there are several effective treatments available that can minimize rosacea symptoms. I suggest you visit an experienced dermatologist for treatment, as you may be a good candidate for oral and/or topical medications, or laser treatment such as Intense Pulsed Light therapy or photodynamic therapy to reduce the redness and put the symptoms in remission.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

There are treatments available to regulate and minimize rosacea outbreaks

+1

While rosacea is not curable, there are treatments available to regulate and minimize rosacea outbreaks. Treatments include both oral and topical prescription medications and laser procedures which can reduce inflammation and other symptoms associated with rosacea. It’s important to identify common triggers of flare-ups including sun-exposure and diet.  Consult with a board certified dermatologist in your area to determine your personalized treatment plan.

Ashley R. Curtis, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon