Are Japanese nose straighteners effective and safe to use? (photos)

Are Japanese nose straighteners effective and safe to use, as the nose cartilage is malleable and can be reshaped after time.

Reshaping the nose with non surgical rhinoplasty

+1
At best those devices may be safe, but they are not effective.  Non surgical rhinoplasty can create change, albeit temporarily, while surgical rhinoplasty is the only effective permanent solution.  

Are Japanese nose straighteners effective and safe to use?

+1
They are probably safe, but are ineffective in producing any lasting benefit. They do not replace surgery.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

External nose straighteners

+1
These devices have been around for years and although they make claims of effectiveness they will not work in the long term.

Are over the counter nose straightening devices effective and safe to use?

+1
These are likely safe to use. The downside is that they will create no long term re-shaping of the nose. The only method currently available to change the size and/ or shape of the nose is rhinoplasty surgery. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Japanese nose straighteners

+1
External devices that apply pressure in a non operated and non-traumatic nose will cause discomfort and will offer little change. They may cause nasal breathing problems due to the swelling and trauma from their use. I would consult a facial plastic surgeon for a long lasting solution.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose Straighteners

+1
It has been shown in both the Chinese and US literature that cartilage can be molded (for instance, in prominent ear deformity) in the first year of life. After that, however, cartilage develops a strong "memory" and will recoil shortly after the deforming force is removed. Therefore, any perceived remodeling in the shape of the nose using a straightening device can be attributed to squeezing water and lymphatic fluid from the tissue and will only be temporary. Permanent reshaping of nasal carriage requires surgery. I hope this helps save you from throwing your money away for nothing!

Paul Rosenberg, MD
Fort Lee Plastic Surgeon

+1
It's a gimmick! It will not change your bones, your cartilage or your skin---- unlike surgery. If you are a candidate for rhinoplasty-- the only way to change the shape of your--- the bones, cartilage -- is to surgically make those improvements. Do not waste your money! 

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

+1
I wouldn't wast my time if I were you. Any cartilagenous deformity wil return after the crazy apparatus is removed.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD