End Result Width of Bridge More or Less Visible Under Cast?

Is the size of my nose, particularly the width of the bridge, more or less possible to be determined with my cast still on? I know that after taking the cast off it swells but how about before that, on day 6 after surgery, when all the black eyes etc have gone away and the cast is to be taken off the next day?

Cast On Day 6: Trying to Determine Results after Rhinoplasty

+1

If the splint is still on, do not make any judgements on size.  After the splint comes off, do not make any judgements on size.  At three weeks, you should feel better about your nose.  At 6 months, you will have a good idea of your long term results.

Rhinoplasty final result usually visible at four months.

+1

Hi.

The best advice I can give you is not to look at your nose for a while.  You cannot tell much with the cast in place, and it will change quite a bit.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

No, the cast, tape and tissue swelling all would add to the size and shape of the nose and should not be used to determine the final result of your Rhinoplasty.  Your nose shape and size will change during the next 6-9 months.

Nasal cast and nasal width

+1

A nasal cast will not give the exact impression of the width of the nose. You will have to wait until the splint is removed and then after the swelling subsides.

Nasal cast after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Kate

• The width of your bridge after your rhinoplasty can NOT be judged with the cast on.
  • Of course, you are excited to see your result.  Just remember that the healing time after a rhinoplasty is in months not days.

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Appearance With Cast In Place

+1

Kate, it would be very difficult to make any accurate determination of what the nose is ultimately going to look like when examining it while the cast is in place. My best advice to you is - be patient. Give your nose the opportunity to heal and don't make any premature judgements about the appearance. Wishing you the best of luck. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Final result after rhinoplasty difficulty to determine under cast

+1

Even under the cast the skin and soft tissue of your nose will swell.  When your cast is taken off 1 week after surgery, your nose will be much more swollen than the final result. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD