Is my Nose Still Swollen After Four Weeks?

I had an open revision rhinoplasty, where the bones were broken. My nose looks really fat in the lower 2/3's is this likely to be swelling? Also how strong is my nose at 4 weeks? I'm terrified to touch it, in case I damage something.

Extreme swelling in revision rhinoplasty is normal....

+1
There are some general observations on revision rhinoplasty that can be made applying to your situation. It is not possible to give an exact assessment of your situation without seeing some pre-op photos to see where you started.
Swelling after any rhinoplasty can take years to resolve. Typically the bulk of the swelling is gone by 3 months though most noses get a little smaller and refined over the next months to years. A revision nose will typically take longer as there is more trauma and scar tissue to deal with. Thicker skin swells more and takes longer to heal than thin skin. Male noses also take longer to heal and swelling can last much longer.
One of the biggest factors in swelling after surgery is how much size reduction occurred. The more the nose was reduced the longer the swelling will last.
Usually the underlying structure of the nose is well healed at four weeks, the skin and soft tissue takes much longer to contract around the framework and produce the final refined look. Be patient and consult your surgeon with your concerns.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Is my nose still swollen after 4 weeks?

+1

After 4 weeks, a large nasal appearance is related to swelling. In general, swelling can be influenced by the following:

1) Whether the procedure was open or closed
2) Whether the procedure was a revision
3) Thickness of the patient's skin
4) Whether or not tip work was performed

Having an open procedure as you mentioned can lead to increased swelling. Osteotomies can also be a factor in your swelling. at 4 weeks, your nose is relatively strong, but it will take 6 weeks for the bones to fully heal if they were fractured. Your nose will not be damaged from touching it, but be conscious to avoid any nasal trauma while you are healing. 

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

The lower two-thirds of the nose remains swollen much longer than the upper one-third after rhinoplasty.  The swelling will progressively dissipate with each passing week.  The rate at which the swelling decreases depends upon a number of factors including the relative change in the size of the nose and the skin thickness.  The nose should be stable to the touch after one month, although it often is still tender.

William D. Losquadro, MD
Westchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is my nose still swollen after four weeks?

+1

In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. You will still have swelling after 4 weeks that can affect the appearance of your result, and the tip is usually the last to come around. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. Your nose will be strong after four weeks, but it will take 6 weeks for the bones to fully heal if they were fractured. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he or she knows the extent of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi There Sammy,

It is totally normal for your nose to still have some swelling at 4 weeks.

Swelling can persist for up to 12 months depending on the type of skin as well as exactly what was done at your operation.

Regarding the strength of your nose, it is certainly strong enough now to touch, there would be absolutely no risk of damaging anything at this stage. I would still avoid any major contact sports or major impact for another couple of weeks.

Best wishes

Richard Bloom

Plastic Surgeon

Board Chairman Plastic Surgery

Melbourne Australia

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon