Was I Given a Mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 3 month po from which should havr been a full tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks. I feel that was not done well, I feel I was given mini tuck. My incision is not stright looks horrible. Am not happy with the tummy and sides feels as if no skin tightening was done also still have a lot ok skin left. Please advise what further treatment I need for better result.

Unhappy with tummy tuck

+1

and with your photos, justified.  However, I do not know what you started with which would make a huge difference in my opinion.  But with a vertical scar, your surgeon did not feel it reached the transverse scar easily and suggests you were not horrible when starting out.  But now 3 months out, you obviously have excess skin still present.  You should be discussing your concerns with your surgeon and hopefully, your surgeon has a reasonable revision policy.

Re-mini tuck

+1

I believe you had a full tummy tuck since your belly button was transposed. I think at this point in time, from the photos (having not examined you), a repeat full tummy tuck is required.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for your pictures.  Sorry about your dissatisfaction about your body contouring procedure.  I do know if a mini was done but I do know that an inadequate amount of skin was removed.  You can have a revision in another 3 months. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Was I Given a Mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

+1

Many thanks for the question and the photos. If surgeon feels that not enough skin is available above the naval to move it down he gets discouraged to undermine it right up to the ribs and that results into this kind of appearance. It could have been better if he did remove some more skin. Although when surgery is performed you are lying down and it’s not easy to make correct estimation as how much is enough to remove without risking skin necrosis .Skin necrosis at the suture margin is the worst complication that can take place to anyone if overambitious surgery is performed. I am sure a redo can be done by the same PS a year later

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Improving tummy tuck result

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  If you do not have an incision around your belly button then you technically received a "mini tummy tuck".  Regardless, there is excess skin and soft tissue laxity that can be improved by removing it via a full tummy tuck.  Although there is always naturally some laxity of the skin (allows us to stand up straight) your photos demostrate too much laxity.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mini tummy tuck yields "mini" results!

+1

Why are you surprised that you still have loose skin and lateral dog ears, not to mention an adherent scar tether? You were somehow hoping for full tummy tuck results with smaller scars and lower cost because you were "sold" a mini tuck?

This is precisely why I perform so few mini tucks--they yield predictably crappy results. (I hope that's a medical term a Brit can understand!)

Unfortunately, there are lots of patients like you who want maxi results with mini-everything else: scar, cost, recovery, pain, etc. So it's "easy" for a surgeon to sell you what you want, even if the results fall short. Now you need to pay for the operation you should have had in the first place, as well as go through another anesthetic, operation, set of risks (admittedly low, but now double what they would have been with one [proper] operation), and recovery, time off work or social activities, etc. Boy, I bet you're glad you had that mini, aren't you?

You appear to have enough residual skin laxity to undergo the full tummy tuck you should have been advised to have in the first place. See a reputable plastic surgeon or two and get additional opinions after some healing and scar softening have occurred. For 7 examples of my patients who underwent full tummy tuck, in various stages of scar maturation, click on the web reference link below. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Was I Given a Mini Tummy Tuck?

+1

You can remove more skin and fat for a flatter abdomen.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA