Should I Get Liposuction for my Double Chin? (photo)

Firstly, sorry if the picture isn't very clear. I am thin, in my early 30's and have a good diet, yet I can't get rid of this slight double chin. It's not very apparent, but I heard that it gets worse with age. I inherited this trait from my mom's side of the family. Do you think I should get liposuction to remove it? Do you think I should wait until it gets worse? I want to get it fixed, but am afraid the surgeon will tell me that I don't need to get it done since it's not very noticeable.

Liposuction under the Chin

+1

If there is supraplatysmal fat collection amenable to liposuction, liposuction will be appropriate.  However, if there is subplatysmal fat or muscular laxity, the liposuction will not help.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Double Chin?

+1

Your area beneath your chin has a very good contour.  Any procedure in that area would yield minimal to no change.  I would not advise that you seek treatment for this.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Chin liposuction procedure

+1

You certainly do not have abundant neck fat, but you are still a candidate for a meticulous contouring neck liposuction procedure. I would recommend you undergo this procedure under tumescent anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Chin Liposuction

+1
Look at the attachment for a photo of a young person with limited liposuction of the chin. Sometimes, a a small change can make a big (but natural looking) difference.
Some individuals have 'sagging' necks primarily due to fat accumulation below the jawbone (mandible). In some cases, liposuction alone can significantly improve the neck appearance. Liposuction is also frequently combined with surgical neck rejuvenation, and in selected cases some direct excision of fat (through a hidden incision below the chin) is performed. The reduction of fat in the area below the jawline and in the anterior neck almost always makes the neck appear longer, and makes the patient's profile appear more elegant or refined.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment

+1

Hello and thanks for the questions and photo.  If by examination there is a fullness just under tthe skin, liposuction could treat this area with positive results.  If its due more to sublingual glandular enlargement or a weak muscular floor, then liposuction will not help.  Best of luck.  Robert Kratschmer, MD, Plastic Surgery, Houston.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Liposuction of the chin area

+1

Thank you for the question and your photo.  Looking at your photo, you do not have any classic signs to warrant liposuction of your submental/chin or neck area.  Your jawline appears very well-defined and you have an excellent angle at the junction of your chin/neck.  If it gets to the point where you would like correction of the area, certainly liposuction of the area would be an excellent option - simple procedure that may be performed in the office under local anesthesia alone with very little downtime.  Good luck!  Hope that these answers help in your decision!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Yes, laser liposuction will define your jawline

+1

I respectfully disagree with some of the answers given here.   Laser liposuction works extremely well in the submental area, even in relatively thin necks with small deposits of fat.  It is not uncommon for me to have young models in their early 30's or even late 20's requesting this procedure, and almost universally they are quite pleased with results.  The jawline is sharper and the neck more defined.  This is especially true in patient with a genetic predisposition to place fat in their necks.    It is usually a very quick procedure, with very recovery period.

best regards,

Dr. Lane Smith

Lane Smith, MD

Lipo under chin

+1

There is very little fatty deposits in the submental area of the chin.  No liposuction is needed on this neck

Liposuction Right Now? No

+1

Based on the current photo, there are no aesthetic indications for submental liposuction.  You cannot treat aging changes that aren't present or you may introduce problems you haven't foreseen.  Good skin care, adequate sleep, good hydration, and a healthy diet are all I would recommend.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Microliposuction works great for double chin.

+1

Hi.

1)  Your profile looks very attractive, and I would probably advise against a procedure right now.  But if the tiny bit of fat under your jaw bothers you, microliposuction will correct it. 

2)  It is a minor procedure done under local anesthesia with a little sedation, and there is minimal recovery

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)