Lipo and Tummy Tuck?

Hi, i have just been for a tummy tuck consultation, i was told by the surgeon he only does lipo on the flanks and no other lipo anywhere else. I have little fat on my upper belly, just below my bust but i was told that the surgeon does not lipo that as part of a tummy tuck and is able to do that seprate to the tummy tuck as is could be unsafe and ristrict blood flow to that area. i would like to know is that right as i no people who have had that done as part of a tummy tuck.

New procedure- Lipoabdominoplasty

+2

The "old "  teaching that aggressive liposuction of the abdomen cannot be done with liposuction does not apply today as the  lipoabdominoplasty technique solved this problem.  This new procedure combines liposuction of the abdomen/flanks and tummy tuck techniques allowing to achieve much better results than the conventional tummy tuck. Many papers have been published on this technique showing its advantage and excellent safety over the conventional tummy tuck.

I switched to this new  procedure over 2 years ago and am absolutely impressed by it.  We recently published our experience with this technique.  

I find it safer than then conventional tummy tuck but most importantly surgical outcomes and patient satisfaction are much higher.

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+2

In my experience, liposuction can be performed routinely with liposuction. Perhaps there was a reason why you were told differently.In high risk patients, the extra liposuction can be deferred. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for any further advice.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and Lipo

+2

I agree with your surgeon. There are some doctors that are very Aggressive and Lipo all over and then do a tummytuck. While you may get away with it this is risky and you're wounds could not heal due to poor circulation.  I only d Lipo of the flanks in conjunction with tummytucks.  Not worth the risk. Hope that helps. 

Rady Rahban, MD

Liposuction of the abdomen is not safe during tummy tuck

+2

I have tried this numerous times...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  You can get irregularities and at worse skin loss.  I do not recommend it to my patients.  Liposuction of the flanks waist and hips is fine, just not the abdominal skin itself...it is safer to do this as a secondary procedure, and in my practice it is done in the office. Often times it is not even necessary.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Old Ideas That Compromise Patient's Results!

+2

I'm always amazed at the concepts that Plastic Surgeons cling to long after they have been proven to be obsolete!!!  Liposuction can and should be done during a tummy tuck to enhance the result and really SCULPT the abdominal wall!!!  Tummy tucks should be modified according to a patient's anatomy and goals. 

Obviously, if a patient is a smoker, aggressive liposuction of the upper abdomen should be avoided.  Also, aggressive liposuction should be avoided in the area directly above the umbilicus as that area gets pulled down to the pubic area, has the worst blood supply of the entire abdominal flap and gets flatter anyway by virtue of the tension placed on it.  I would get some more consultations before you get a less than optimal result...good luck!

Eric Sadeh, MD

Upper Abdominal Liposuction With a Tummy Tuck

+2

It is safest to avoid performing upper abdominal liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck.  In order to tighten and improve the appearance of the abdomen, the skin and fatty tissues of the upper and lower abdomen are extensively undermined.  This partially disrupts the blood supply.  Adding liposuction to the upper abdomen makes this area more vulnerable to wound healing problems.  Liposuction of the flanks however can be done without much added risk and can improve the overall results.

Mark Schwartz, MD

Combining liposuction and tummy tuck in los angeles

+2

liposuction of the flanks usually enhances the results of a tummy tuck. It is not safe to liposuction the upper abdomen during a tummy tuck, especially if there is much tension on the abdominal skin.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Questions about upper abdominal fat and abdominoplasty surgery

+2

There is always a possibility that over liposuctioning the upper abdomen at the time of an abdominoplasty can jeopardize the blood supply to the abdomen.  There are two layers of fat in the abdomen, a deep and superficial zone separated by a thin membrane called Scarpa's fascia.  The blood vessels travel just  on top of this fascia.  All of the deep fat can be removed but one must be cautious about too aggressive liposuction of the superficial fat.  

Liposuction is usually restricted to flanks during tummy tuck.

+2

Dear Aliya,

It is very common to restrict liposuction to the flanks only during tummy tuck because you will be releasing the upper abdominal skin and pulling it down tight when doing the tummy tuck.  For this reason, we are wary about doing liposuction on the upper abdominal skin because it could interrupt the blood supply and cause problems with the healing of the wound.  It may be that the contour below your bust will be improved when everything is pulled down as part of your tummy tuck, but, as your surgeon says, it may also be that you will need a separate procedure to address this if it is not improved.  Good luck.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction during tummy tuck

+2

Doing liposuction during a tummy tuck is a judgment issue for the surgeon.

Most surgeons will do liposuction during a tummy tuck, but not aggressive liposuction.  It interferes with the blood supply to the bottom incision. Like all plastic surgeries, an experienced surgeon knows where that limit is.

Since performing liposuction during other procedures may increase the risk of surgery, this must be balanced with the convenience of a single recovery time for the patient and the benefit of a single anesthetic vs two anesthetics.

Brent Moelleken, MD