Do I Have a "Lazy" Left Eye? (photo)

Hi Doctors, My left eye looks smaller than my right eye. I don't know which surgery I will have to get to correct it. Would I need an eyelid upper surgery? Would that correct it? I look forward to your replies.

Congenital ptosis correction of the upper eyelid

+2

Hello.  You have very mild left upper eyelid congenital ptosis(  droopy upper lid probably seen since childhood).  You are raising your left eyebrow in an effort to try to raise the left eyelid, which is very involuntary and I suspect you are not aware you are doing this.  The ptosis is very correctable, so please don't worry about this.  It will get worse with age most likely.  Contact a good Plastic Surgeon who has experience with this type of surgery.

I like your country very much, by the way.  I studied Plastic Surgery for a year at Frenchay Hospital in Bristol, England many years ago.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Good luck to you

Congenital ptosis of the upper eyelid

+2

You do have a degree of congenital ptosis or sagging of your left upper eyelid.  Your degree of ptosis is relatively minor and can be corrected surgically.  

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

You have mild left upper eyelid ptosis. You also have more hollowness on left upper eyelid area than the right.  Filler injection alone may camouflage things enough for better symmetry but need full evaluation before deciding which treatment option best for you.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis

+1

Initially, when I looked at your photo, it seemed that you may have orbital [eye socket] asymmetry leading to your left eye being lower than your right eye.

However, upon closer inspection, it seems that your head is tilted to the left [your left, to the right as we are looking at the photo]  when you took this photo. Your right ear is lower on your left, as is your right nostril.

So putting aside the photo issue, it does seem that you have a very subtle left upper eyelid ptosis. This leads to more of the upper eyelid platform showing as well.

A subtle ptosis repair can be done.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lazy Eye?

+1

Thank you for your question. It does appear that you have a mild case of upper eyelid ptosis or drooping on the left.  Your photos also suggest that you may also have a difference in your eye position in the sockets. This is difficult to evaluate without an examination. There are various causes of ptosis including congenital, mechanical, traumatic, or acquired secondary to another medical condition.  You should seek consultation from a plastic surgeon experienced in ptosis repair.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Lazy Eye? Ptosis?

+1

You do not have what others would call a lazy eye, or amblyopia in the most common of senses, that caused by strabismus.  If your vision is normal, you likely do not have amblyopia in any of the senses.  Your left eyelid does appear lower but your lid is well above your pupil, and about 2 mm below the limbus.  Having one side of the face or eye smaller than the other is the norm.   Your head is tilted to the left which makes this a little bit difficult to evaluate. 

Your right eye may be a little higher on your face than the left (called dystopia).  Did you have a previous trauma to your left side?  A zygomatic fracture or an underdeveloped cheek can produce a similar look on frontal view.   You may have a combination of things causing greater asymmetry. 

A view of your whole face and lateral views as well as a physical exam would help determine the diagnosis and if there is something else at hand, such as Romberg's or other diagnoses, which can result in one side of the face appearing smaller than the other.  Discussing these items with a board certified plastic surgeon may help sort all of this out.