IPL Without Protective Glasses. Do Eyes Get Damaged?

I have IPL on the sides of my face and I wear black protective glasses for that. but i also have a some hair on my forehead but I have to remove the protective glasses for that because they come in the way but i keep my eyes tightly shut. So can this still cause any damage to my eyes? please reply back and answer my question as i am really worried! Thank you

IPL around the eyes

+2

Generally speaking, we advise wearing laser goggles as well as keeping your eyes tight underneath them. If you get too close to the eyes, just squeezing really tight may not be enough and its a risk of sight which is not worth it. If the goggles are in the way, then ask your physician to put special eye shields into your eye.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL Protective Eyewear

+1

It is advised to have some form of protective eyewear on the patient when performing laser procedures, as it is better to be safe than run the risk of injury to the eye.  We use IPL protective eye stickers at our practice, so that the goggles do not get in the way when performing a treatment.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Protective Eyewear

+1

Safety first!!!  Always wear protective eye shields, glasses, goggles,  etc.  during any laser procedure.   It makes no sense to take any risk no matter how small. 

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

IPL without protective glasses

+1

The makers of IPL machines advise that all patients should wear protective glasses for the entire procedure. There are advanced glasses that have a center nose piece that flips up and down so it allows the treatment head to move around the forehead much easier. There are also sticker shield protectors (which some people just truly hate so we don't use them as often), that are an option too. The office you go for your procedures should be aware of these different protective types available because taking your protective glasses off for the entire forehead isn't a safe enough option.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD