Hemosederin Under Eyes Post Fat Transfer? (photo)

Hi, I had an under eye f/t 2 myths ago. The bruising was gone in 3 weeks. The resulting brown discouloration is hemosederin staining. Looks terrible under certain low lighting, much worse than the photo. What can I do (have ordered some auriderm) to get rid of this, and will it be PERMANENT?

Pigment under the eyes after fat transfer

+1

This is not an uncommon complication after fat transfer to the lower eyes, and can occur regardless of technique used. Laser treatment can be helpful to correct the pigmentation, although it is possible that if you wait, there will be some resorption of the pigment. I use fat quite frequently to help augment the cheeks and fill the naso-jugual folds, and it really is a powerful and effective technique that produces long lasting results, which patients really enjoy. 

Fat transfer to the eyes

+1

Dear maclean01,

• I agree with Dr Hughes, a laser can help accelerate the clearing of this issue
  • If things have stabilized and are not changing, then it may be time for a treatment
  • With that said, it can still take a few months for the hemosiderin to resolve

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Hemosiderin 2 Months after Fat Transfer to Face

+1

Any pigmentation changes after two months following fat transfer is usually hemosiderin, which should get better over the course of a few months to a year.  A Q-switched laser can help with this.

Bruising after fat transfer is temporary.

+1

Fat transfer to the eyes can really improve volume loss under the eyes, giving the appearance of "sunken" shadows under the eyes.  Bruising is rare due to the blunt cannulas used.  However, if it occurs, it should fade within 1-2 weeks. Hemosiderin is a form of iron remnants of red blood cells, and can cause "staining" that gradually resolves after several months.

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon