Weak Chin and Confused. What Should I Do? (photo)

My chin is weak, but when i bite it seems small but inline? any advise guys? im from London Kind Regards David

Chin Implant Suitability

+3

If your bite is appropriate and you only want an increase in chin projection, then a chin implant is the procedure for you.

Chin Implant for Weak Chin

+2

Thank you for the question and the pictures. Your case brings up some important issues. First, the relative size of your lower jaw (mandible) to your upper jaw (maxilla) will help determine what type of surgery will be most beneficial. In the first photo, your lower jaw appears undersized. In that position, do you have an overbite? If so, there is a procedure to advance the mandible forward that requires surgical cuts in the bone.  If not, then a much less invasive procedure like a chin implant could do the trick. A trained facial or oral surgeon can help you figure this out. Best of luck in your decision!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak chin

+2

I think you should consider a chin implant as your teeth line up well. The most common implant is solid and made out of silastic. Avoid short button implants. Healing is relatively quick. Success rate is very high, you will be pleased.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin augmentation for defined chin

+1

Chin augmentation is an appropriate procedure for patients that have a weak chin. While chin implants are available for augmentation, I use a more natural technique of harvesting a patient’s fat, cartilage, and tissue to shape and sculpt a more defined chin. However, if your bite seems misaligned, it may be a mandibular (lower jaw) or maxillary (upper jaw) issue which can be resolved by reshaping or repositioning the jaw. In order to determine which procedure will best address your concerns, schedule an in-person consultation with a board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon.

Fernando D. Burstein, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weak chin and options for correction

+1

If a person has underbite and the recession is corrected by moving the lower jaw forward, mandibular advancement is the only operation necessary. However if the profile is improved but not completely  by this maneuver a chin implant is also recommended. Mentoplasty could be performed through intra oral approach leaving no visible scar externally.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Weak Chin

+1

There are alternatives to augment a weak chin but the most popular, reliable, technique is the placement of a solid, silicone implant.

Options for a weak chin

+1

If there was an issue with the mandible, it would require a maxillofacial surgeon to correct.  Chin implants generally yield a fantastic result for patients with a weak chin, and I think you would be really happy with the outcome. From here, I would recommend a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon. He/she may use computer imaging software to give you an idea of how the final result may appear. The morphed image that is generated can also serve as a fantastic communication tool between you and your prospective surgeon, and allow you to make suggestions to him or her so you may obtain the best possible outcome. Thank you and I hope this helps! 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Weak Chin and Confused. What Should I Do?

+1

A chin implant is certainly a great option to improve your profile. I am not sure, though, that your occlusion is as good as you say. When you thrust your jaw forward to show how you would like your profile to look, it appears that your occlusion is normal. This suggests that you probably have a relatively severe overbite. If that is the case, you would be best served by an oral surgeon who can perform jaw advancement to improve your bite and your profile. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon