Mole Removal from my Face (On my Nose) Via Laser? (photo)

Hello, I have had a mole on my nose since childhood, it was quiet small in size and flat but in the last 5 years had mildly grown in size and to touch felt very mildly felt raised. My dermatologist removed it via laser. Yet on reading up on procedures of mole removal online I have come to know that that is not a preferable method and biopsy is necessary to determine whether its benign or not? I am very worried about the matter, any advice? many thanks

What to do after having a mole removed by laser

+2

I agree that moles should never be removed by laser for the reasons that are stated. Now that it's after the fact, you need to watch the area closely. In the future, if there is any sign of recurrent pigmentation you should have it examined and most likely biopsied to be safe. You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

If the mole is growing and you would like it treated again, make sure a biopsy is done prior to lasering.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Mole removal via laser

+1

It is not recommended to remove true moles with lasers because no lab pathology can be done. If you had a mole since childhood that had been changing, I absolutely would not have recommended you have it removed with a laser. Because now we have no idea what it was or why it was changing. What's done is done, but you will need to keep an eye on that area to see if anything changes or develops. If anything does, do not allow it to be treated with anything other than a biopsy sent to a lab.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD