Fat Transfer 'Take' Under Eye Hollows?

I've recently (1 week ago) had a fat transfer to correct under eye hollows. It was done via lipo, fat harvested & micro injections. I'm not very swollen and although my eyes are bruised I can see where the fat has flattened out hollows. I feel it looks like a good result. How much fat is likely to 'take' around the eyes? I'd happy if it stayed like it is right now, but I know its unlikely. Am I going to see a gradual return to 50% or so hollowing - over what time period? Might it all stay?

Fat transfer for under eye hollows.

+2

Fat transfer for under eye hollows depends on how it was done as to how long it will last. Having done fat transfer for 35 years, what you see at 3 months is what you get.

Fat Transfer Take to Tear Troughs

+1

Fat transfer to the tear troughs works very well if done correctly as this is an extremely vascular area.  It should not be overfilled, and only a small amount injected.  You may always need additional fat grafting, but the amount that establishes a vascular supply will continue to live permanently.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat transfer to lower eyelids takes time to see ultimate results.

+1

Certainly after 1 week, there is still some swelling, especially in light of the bruising you noted.  I would allow 2 to 3 months to determine final outcome.  About 50 to 60% fat retention would be realistic.

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat transfer to the eyes

+1

Dear maclean01,

• How did the fat transfer take?
  • Although it has been about 5 weeks, it will probably need more healing time for things to settle out
  • Also, changes in your body weight may affect the volume of fat under your eyes

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Fat grafting to lower eyelids

+1

Fat graft take is quite variable among different patients and different transfer technique. Your surgeon would be the best person to ask about how much change to expect, but I would suspect that after just 1 week you still have some swelling in the area.

In my hands (and research using MRI scans bears this out) the fat grafts will actually evolve and blossom up to 18 months after treatment. This long time course is related to the slow process of blood vessel growth into the fat grafts.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Fat resorption varies

+1

Generally with fat grafting we quote a resorption rate between 40-60% depending on the patient. The area around the eyes tend to do a bit better due to the good blood supply. If you are only 1 week out, I would expect with resorption and resolution of edema, you will have some volume loss up to about 3 months.

At three months, you will see your final result.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon