Could Anaesthetic Injected Under Eyes Affect Botox Placement?

Hi, My doctor injected botox around my eyes. Shortly after she injected filler into my cheeks. Before the filler she injected an anaesthetic very close to the botox under my eyes. I was worried about what effect this would have on the botox, she said it would be fine. Now the bags under my eyes have gotten larger. I usually have this problem a bit, but it seems worse. Would the anaesthetic injection affect the botox and cause this problem? if so is there anything I can do to correct this?

Botox and filler and anesthetic

+1

I combine botox treatment with fillers all the time. I often use topical anesthetic which should have no effect on the injections.  If I am going to place Botox in the vicinity of the filler, I will place that after the filler so I do not displace the botox as I am molding the filler.

Botox Under Eyes

+1

Hi Emmy.  It seems to us that the main issue is placing Botox under the eyes.  While Botox is very commonly used at the outer eye, it is rarely used under the eyes.  The reason is that relaxing the muscle that surrounds the eye can cause  a more pronounced eye bag - exactly what you are describing.

As for the anesthetic and whether that might interfere with the Botox - it's not as likely.  If the Botox were placed correctly, it should be placed at a different depth than the anesthetic.  

We use Dermal fillers like Restylane under the eyes instead of Botox.  Try this next time for better results.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Local anesthetic and Botox

+1

Local anesthetic should have no affect on Botox. Placement of the filler would affect the bags, though. I would recommend you see your injector for a follow-up.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Anesthetic and Botox under eyes

+1

The local anesthetic that was injected under your eyes would have no effect on the result of the Botox.  Without seeing you or pictures of you, it's difficult to know what might be causing your issue now.  Was the filler only injected into your cheeks and not into the lower eye area?  I would recommend contacting the physician who treated you to be evaluated and see if something can be done to correct your problem.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon