Will a Lollipop Lift Provide a Better/longer Lasting Lift Than Benelli in the Long Run?

Trying to get more upper pole fullness. 36DD. I hear a benelli just moves nipple but not the breast itself??

Benelli vs lollipop lift

+2

You have done your homework well.  A Benelli lift with a scar around just the nipple only moves the nipple but does not lift the rest of the breast.  A lollipop lift will move more breast tissue upward if performed properly.  Good luck.

Benelli Lift Moves the Areola

+2

I would say that the Benelli lift does move the areola with little impact on the rest of the skin envelope and breast.  A vertical lift or full breast lift will tend to elevate the rest of the breast tissue and produce more superior fullness.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Lollipop lift

+1
In some cases sagging will occur much sooner with a Benelli lift. A Benelli lift also tends to flatten the breast, so in the rare incidence when I perform a Benelli lift I always use an implant. A properly performed "lollipop" lift (or "anchor") will last much longer, especially with an implant placed behind the muscle.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

A vertical "lollipop" lift is much better than a Benelli. Implants for upper pole volume.

+1

You are well-informed.  A Benelli does not adequately treat the lower pole sagging.  It often leaves a conspicuous scar around the areola because of tissue tension.  Patient dissatisfaction is high.  The vertical lift makes much more sense because it removes the saggy tissue of the lower breast pole.  It also preserves upper pole volume better than other techniques.  However, if you want full upper poles without reliance on a bra (and many women do), you should consider implants.  You can be smaller overall, but have the fullness in the top rather than on the bottom.  It might sound crazy to have implants if you are already too big, but the point is that redistributing your own tissue simply does not hold up very well.  Better to remove the excess breast tissue on the bottom and get the upper pole fullness with implants (which they do better than natural breast tissue).  Look at some results on my website in patients treated with the vertical technique, with and without implants.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

+1

As always, any answer here will be less useful than it might be if there were photos. 

A Benelli lift will allow only a small amount of nipple/areolar elevation, and a small amount of skin resection. If the areola needs to move more than about 2 cm (0.8 inches), a Benelli lift will be inadequate. 

Unfortunately the term Benelli lift is so loosely defined that it is hard to know precisely what is being discussed or compared, and the procedures described using that term can be quite different. They can be as simple as reducing the areolar size with no lifting, to a small amount of lifting of the areola only, to a more extensive procedure with reshaping of the breast through that incision. The use or non-use of a breast implant also changes the procedure significantly.

What a Benelli lift cannot do by any definition is remove a significant amount of excess skin or elevate the areola a significant amount. A vertical lift can do those things. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

A true Benelli lift does change the breast

+1

The fact is, most doctors use the term, "Benelli lift" to describe an incision made around the areola only to lift it to a higher position, and no work is done on the breast. In a real Benelli and operations like it, the breast is rearranged significantly so that there is no sag. So how can you tell if you need a Benelli or a vertical mastopexy? It's a judgement call, but for me, I look at how much skin would need to be excised if the breast was in a higher position, and if that skin would be hanging like a Sharpei once that breast is up, a Benelli is not going to remove skin aggressively enough.

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Benelli versus vertical lift

+1

Dear Newnose,

The two lifts indeed have different indications for specific breast conditions.  In general, you are correct in presuming that the vertical lift will give more upper pole fullness.  However, the Benelli lift can provide upper pole fullness if performed correctly.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Benelli versus Lollipop(Racket, Keyhole, etc.) LIft

+1

Dear Newnose33,  You have perfomed your research.  Each type of lift has certain types of sagging breast that they work best with and other types they do not.  The Benelli Lift will lift and recenter the malpositioned nipple but if used in a breast with too much sagging(ptosis), can result in lose of projection and a flatten  breast appearence.  The vertical lift will both reposition the nipple and also correct the lower pole excess. To date, few techniques can refill the upper pole of the breasts without an implant.   Discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you decide what type of lift is best for you.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Wow, two very different options

+1
These are two very different operations! As noted previously, Circumareolar mastopexy elevates the nipple and tightens the breast......minimally.  The problem with a tight circumareolar mastopexy is the tendency to scar widening and scar hypertropy.  Many will place a permanent suture around the perimeter of the areola, but this suture can break or can be bothersome to patients as they might feel it.  Vertical mastopexy is a very powerful tool providing for lift of the nipple as well as elevation of the lower pole of the breast.  It provides for the best shape of all mastopexies as circumareolar mastopexies can flatten the nipple region, whereas full Wise pattern (anchor incisions) can flatten the entire breast.  Many women are not eager to consider that vertical scar though. Without photos, it is difficult to give an absolute opinion, but doubt that at a 36DD breast size, that a periareolar mastopexy will get the job done for you.

Ronald A. Lohner, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Benelli lift and lollipop lift

+1

Really, the two are different and used in different indications. I use a modification fo the Benelli only for circumareola lifts, and use a lollipop( vertical) for patients with true ptosis.