Do I Need a Lollipop Lift or Can I Get Away with Just a Donut Lift? (photo)

I am 5'6. 130 lbs. I want to have a breast augmentation but I'm not sure if I need a lollipop lift or if I can do a donut lift.

Depends on the result that is most important to you

+2

In your case there is no right or wrong answer in terms of the breast lift type.  A "lolli pop" type breast lift also called a circumvertical breast lift combined with an augmentation will likely give you the best result but also the vertical incision down your breasts.  A "donut" type breast lift also called a purse-string breast lift will have one less incision but may leave a little breast tissue hanging off of your implant.  Attached is a photo of an augmentation and breast lift patient of mine that can show you what the incision can look like.

Dr Remus Repta

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift best choice for maximum lift with implants

+2

Ok, here it is in a nutshell: large implants will NOT lift your existing breast tissue. Large implants will only make your current problem a much larger problem and much more difficult to correct in the future. Large implants stretch tissues regardless of where they are placed (behind or in front of the muscle).

In your case, a small to medium sized submuscular implant should be used to provide upper pole fullness. Then, a Mini UBL to reposition your existing breast tissue directly over the implant to provide a round, perky and naturally appearing breast. Permanent sutures are used to fix your breast tissue over the implant to provide a long term lift. The only scar would be one that goes around the areola. NO VERTICAL scar is needed. The Mini UBL is a new type of lifting technique unlike the donut or lollipop as it has the ability to lift more tissue with less scarring.

Kind regards,

Dr. H 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

+2

Thank you for great pictures. I like the lolipop lift or circumvertical breast lift and think the scars are worth the improved results. The donut lift relies on a permanent suture to hold things together so if it breaks you need it replaced. Pease see a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Lollipop Lift or Can I Get Away with Just a Donut Lift

+1

You can get away with a donut lift and implant, but there will not be much of  a lift. How much of a lift you need depends upon your expectations, and that will best be discussed in the setting of an in person consultation. All the best. 

Several options are available for breast enhancement

+1

Hi there-

In my experience, I would say that you would be best served by either having a larger implant placed, or having a more definitive breast lift with an implant... If you are comfortable with a larger implant, I would not personally perform any lift at all.

Having said that, it is absolutely critical to your happiness that you understand that I can only tell you what has worked well in my hands.

In other words, just because I have had patients like you in the past who were very happy with one of these options does not mean that what another surgeon tells you would necessarily be wrong or unlikely to make you happy.

Similarly, it is very important that you understand that choosing a breast lift because it produces the scar you think you want is often a grave error- elevating your risk of ending up with the scar you wanted, but funny looking breasts.

Please also be careful of anyone who tells you that they have some kind of magic new technique that no one else has heard of.

Your very best bet is to first find the best surgeon you can- someone you like and feel you can trust, and whose work demonstrates a level of skill and talent likely to give you the result you want. Visit for a consultation and discuss your options. Shop for the best surgeon... not for the scar you want.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Lollipop or doughnut lif

+1

Your final goal for both shape and volume should determine which lift would be best for you.  Find photos of the shape, nipple position and size that you want...discuss these witha plastic surgeon who does both types of lift....avoid any surgeon who says he can give you a lift with a scar by using a large implant!!!!

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implants

+1

A donut lift vs a vertical lift are the most likely options with the implant. It really depends upon the implant volume you choose, and your anatomic measurements.

My approach depends on the size of implants you choose

+1

In general the larger the implant you choose the less skin needs to be removed.  If you  choose a size that doesn't take up all the slack in the loose skin I would do a  lollipop lift.  But if you don't mind a larger implant you can avoid the vertical scar.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Which lift?

+1

Both types of mastopexies have their advantages and disadvantages. If there is a significant amount of skin between the bottom of the areaola ( the outer portion of the nipple) and the breast fold, then the vertical line scar option will give you a better lift.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Lift Type for Me?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I can see why you ask the question;  I think you could go either way with the breast augmentation/lifting operation. There are pros/cons associated with each breast lifting operation.  Which route you decide to take will  be a decision you should make after carefully evaluating the potential pros/cons, risks/complications as well as short and long-term results of each type of breast lifting operation.  Your goals in regards to breast size, shape, and ability to “tolerate” scars will also play a role.

I would suggest that you choose your plastic surgeon carefully;  ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Once you feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon's ability  and have communicated your goals and preferences clearly, trust his/her judgment  and recommendations.

Keep in mind, that the operation with the least scarring does not always achieve the best outcome.