Lollipop Lift or Benelli Lift in Addition to Breast Implants?

I want to know if I could be a candidate for a Benelli Lift. I want a Breast Augmentation because I breastfed my baby and I lost a cup of my volume.

I visited 2 surgeons in my country and they told me that I will need a lift only on my right breast. They told me about a Lollipop Breast Lift, but I read here that some people can have a Benelli lift. I want to know if I really need a Lollipop Lift or a Benelli + Breast implant. Will it work? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Benelli Lift

+2
Major circumareolar skin excisions create lots of problems that result in an undesirable breast appearance - flattens the top of the breast
-scars tend to be irregular, thick and wide
-areolar diameter tends to enlarge over time
-often done with implant placement
puts even more tension on the scar
-look at lots of photos of benelli or donut mastopexys
-can almost guarantee that you won’t like what you see
-why limit the scar to the around the areola if it makes that scar much more noticeable and distorts the shape of the breast?

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants benelli versus full mastopexy

+2

Hi,

A Benelli lift will solve the problem but this approach does not give you a tightness in the area below the nipple complex.  In fact, because there are concentric circles with this lift (also called a donut pexy), there is a flattening of the breasts that sometimes can be noticable and sometimes is not.  I do not think in your case that this would be a great issue but the bottoming you have will not be improved.  With implants, this issue becomes less but here too is a problem.  When an augment is done with the Benelli, then there can be an areola spread where the areola complexes increase in size.  Not an absolute but a possibility.

In my opinion, it would all depend upon your feeling about a vertical scar.  If you would accept it, then in my practice I would suggest a lolipop pexy with implants and with this, the areola spread possibility is decreased significantly as the circle is "locked" at 6 o'clock.

Discuss your thoughts with your surgeon and the right approach will be taken.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lifting Technique?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on the pictures, I think you may have a very nice result with breast augmentation and circumareolar breast lifting.  Of course, additional lifting will be necessary on your right side to improve symmetry as much as possible.

Lollipop vs Benelli lift for breast asymmetry

+2

Hi Jadore645

Without the benefit of a clinical examination and measurements it is not possible to give an exact answer to your question. It is probable that either procedure can be performed but the changes or improvement may not be the same. In general, breast lifts that have more scarring also provide more lift. Depending on how much lift you require or how much residual ptosis you will accept will determine which procedure is preferred and selected.

Although I know this is not a great answer to your question, I hope it is of some value to you and provides some help as you make your decision. Best wishes and good luck to you.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar lift plus an implant

+2

In my opinion, you could have a nice result with implants on both sides and a periareolar lift on both sides. That way, you would have only scars around the areola and they would be equal on each side. You cam see many photos on my web site and RealSelf. You don't have a great starting point but could have some significant improvement.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+1
You would benefit from an appropriately sized implant to help restore lost volume and shape after breast-feeding. Complicating the situation is the asymmetry you have with the right breast larger and more ptotic than the left breast. So you may end up with different size implants along with either type of mastopexy; this is best determined after a careful exam by your (board certified) plastic surgeon.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a Benelli breast lift?

+1

With proper implant selection and quality of your breast tissue you may be a candidate for a Benelli type doughnut mastopexy.  This type of lift works best if you are only removing areolar skin.  Also know that this type of breast lift has the highest rate of patient dissatisfaction if it is pushed too far.

Breast Lift decision is based on clinical examination

+1

Hello Jadore645,

Without a clinical examination, it is very difficult to give you the correct answer. Based on your photo, it appears the left nipple is in good position, and a breast augmentation alone will give you a good result.

The right breast does need a lift, but the question is which type? It really depends on the amount of drop and loose skin in the lower portion of the breast. In general, if up to one inch of nipple lift is needed AND there is MINIMAL to NO loose skin in the lower portion of the breast, then a Benelli lift is indicated. Again, this in not always black and white, just a guideline.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implants

+1

Hi,

The type of breast lift you need depends on how large you wish to go with your implants. If you want small implants, you may need a lollipop incision, but if you are planning on having large implants placed, a Benelli incision alone may work. It would be hard to determine this without and examination and discussion, so I would ask your question directly to your surgeon. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Correction of Breast asymmetry

+1

Many women, particularly those who have had children, will notice that their breast tissue will droop and “deflate” following breast-feeding. This phenomenon is not limited to mothers, however, as changes in weight as well as hormone fluctuations can cause these same issues. Some women, in fact, are born with breasts that may not be as “perky” as they would like. Many patients who complain of this breast deflation, or “breast ptosis” in medical terms, benefit from an elevation of the breast tissue, known as a breast lift or mastopexy. Sometimes, as in your case, breast size and ptosis is asymmettric, and so different procedures may be needed on each side. There are several ways to go about providing true or apparent lifting of the breast tissue.

A breast lift can involve several different things. Classically, breast lifts were done through a pattern similar to classical breast reductions, resulting in a scar around the nipple, down the center, and underneath of the breast, which you can think of as an anchor type of configuration. While this operation works well for many patients, it provides a lot of scarring, and can, in certain patients, give rise to a breast that lacks proper projection. Efforts were subsequently made to try and improve the deficiencies of this operation, and a plastic surgeon named Dr. Lejour developed a breast surgery that eliminated the scar under the breast and improved postoperative breast form. This is called the vertical mastopexy.

The vertical, or "lollipop" mastopexy has become one of the mainstays of the breast lift. This operation works well for most women who do not have massive breasts, and allows some degree in reduction of the size of the breast if this is what you are looking for. Alternatively, the vertical breast lift can be combined with a breast implant in order to increase the breast size. In either situation, the scars from this vertical breast lift look like a lollipop- around the nipple and down the center of the breast. The concept behind the vertical mastopexy is the rearrangement of the breast tissue itself to a higher position, rather than creating a skin sling to suspend the breast tissue. This breast tissue rearrangement is felt to give a more pleasing shape and a longer lasting result.

For those patients that require only minimal lifting and who may be adverse to the longitudinal scar of the vertical breast lift, an alternative may be what is called a purse-string, or Benelli mastopexy. This operation is performed by resection of an eccentric area of skin around the nipple, which can be thought of as an oval shaped doughnut where more skin is resected above the nipple than below it. Following a small amount of dissection in the breast tissue to strengthen the breast lift, this incision is closed with a purse-string suture that “cinches” the breast envelope centrally and upward to provide a lift. The scar resulting from this breast lift operation is only around the nipple along the transition between the pigmented areola and the skin of the breast. This operation does have the limitation of lifting the breast tissue only one to two centimeters, however, and so only patients with minimal ptosis may be candidates for this procedure.

With any breast lift procedure, the result may be enhanced with the ancillary use of a breast implant to increase volume and fullness. A breast implant may be used with the classic breast lift, the vertical breast lift, or the Benelli breast lift procedure. Placement of large breast implants during these procedures is discouraged because of the following safety issue. When dissection of the breast tissue is performed in order to achieve a higher and more youthful appearance, careful attention must be given to the blood flow to the breast tissue that is being rearranged. Large implants placed under this dissection can put undue tension on the lifted breast tissue, causing compromise of the nipple. You may be advised to undergo a staged breast lift procedure when using a breast implant in order to achieve the best result with minimal risk. This plastic surgery sequence usually entails placement of the breast implant as an isolated operation a few months before performance of the formal breast lift procedure. This sequence allows the nipple to be placed at just the right position on your new breast form following the initial augmentation, and results in the most safe, aesthetically pleasing result. Again, small breast implants are less often an issue, and may be used at the time of your initial breast lift operation.

For your particular case, I would recommend allowing the surgeon to place breast implants for your desired augmentation, and intra-operatively decide how much lifting on each side is required. If a Benelli breast lift is all that is required, that's great. If, however, a vertical mastopexy is the operation that will give you the best form, he or she can decide to perform that procedure to give you the best result.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon