Should I Consider a Lollipop or an Anchor for my Breast Reduction? And What Size?

I've read a lot about both the anchor and the lollipop procedure. The anchor makes me reluctant because of the feared "boxy" look. I want a nice shape...a natural one. Any opinions as to what would work best for my breasts? Also, I don't know whether I should go to a C or D. I am a DDDDD. I don't want to look completely different which is why I'm considering a D. Any thoughts on that? Thank you for your time!

Lollipop vs. Anchor Reduction

+1

In general, it is more likely that the anchor technique will give you a more optimal outcome than the lollipop for the amount of reduction that you will need.  It would be important for you to have a consultation by a board certified plastic surgeon to examine you and give you the best advice.  There are a lot of factors considered by your surgeon in determining an operative plan.  The anchor incision does not necessarily have to create a boxy look. Sometimes, this effect is created purposefully initially because the weight of the breast will stretch the lower breast and round out given a little time.  

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Should I Consider a Lollipop or an Anchor for my Breast Reduction? And Would Insurance Cover Teenage Breast Reduction, Size 32G?

+1

You want...what everyone wants, and there's nothing wrong with that.  You want a nice shape, round, full, natural...and with the least amount of scarring.  Unfortunately, though, while smaller reductions can be effected quite well with a lollipop incision (and scar), I feel that larger reductions generally need the anchor-shaped scar pattern.  So the larger you are, and the larger a reduction you want or need, the greater the likelihood that that's what I would recommend.  At a 5D (which is the same as an H), I would normally advise being reduced only to a D or so.  Smaller than that often looks a little funny on your body as a whole' much larger defeats the intent of a reduction.  That being said, the exact size is not something that can be guaranteed beforehand.  I try to confirm what the patient wants and balance it with what I'd recommend.  The final decisions are made intraoperatively, and include making sure that size and shape are taken into consideration.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Type of breast reduction procedure

+1

I am glad that you have been researching the procedures.  I agree with the previous post, however.  If you have truly large breasts and are trying to get an effective reduction that can reshape your breasts, the extra skin is frequently best dealt with via an anchor type scar.  Sometimes, the breasts do appear slightly boxy in the early postoperative period, but this improves and the shape advantage is typically quite fantastic when comparing the postop photos to the original breast.  As far as the size goes, I usually have a difficult time making a large, wide breast into a truly small breast.  The base is too wide and I do not like to sacrifice shape simply to try to attain a certain bra size.  So, I typically leave my patients somewhat full and perhaps no smaller than a full C cup.  This often better suites their body proportions.  When you see your surgeon, make sure you talk about size and your desire for a more conservative reduction so that everyone is on the same page and you end up happy with the volume.

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Breast reduction and boxy shape

+1

First, if you are a quadruple D, it is doubtful that a vertical lift using a lollipop is the right thing for you. You probably have too much skin to deal withe and too much gland to get a good shape and reduction.  An anchor incsion does not have to be boxy, it is based upon how the surgeon m arks the skin flaps and cuts the tissue away.  Good luck.

Breast Reduction Technique and Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to look into breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although your question is reasonable, I think you will be much better off concentrating on locating a surgeon who does the quality of work you are looking for,  as opposed to concentrating on a specific technique.  I am convinced that  the selection of your plastic surgeon will play a much greater role in the success of your operation than any other factor. 

Once you have chosen a plastic surgeon that does do the type of  quality work that you are looking for,  he/she will be able to guide you ( based on your physical examination and goals)  which procedure will best meet your goals.

In other words, a well experienced, meticulous plastic surgeon may be able to achieve a very nice results for you using either technique;  a “sloppy” surgeon may end up with less than satisfactory results regardless of the technique use.

Most patients,  undergoing breast reduction surgery, wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. ‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.