Will I Get a Flat Stomach from a Tummy Tuck Now or Do I Need to Wait and Lose Some More Weight?

I am 5'3" 173 as of todays date and still losing....I have change my eating habits, by cutting back on carbs, and plenty of water along with great attention to portion control and so i have went from 183 to 173... my weight is in my stomach area and I was told i need muscle repair as the abdomen was totally stretched..Do i need to lose more weight for a tummy tuck. what would your recommendations be as PS. I love my body size and thickness however i am very displeased with my abdominal area.

Lose weight before tummy tuck?

+3

Ideally losing weight before surgery always helps, but is not crucial in your case.  However, the final flatness of your abdomen is often times determined by how much deep fat you have around your internal organs.  Men typically carry their fat deep to the abdominal muscles and women tend to have it more superficially.  The superficial fat can be addressed with liposuction along with your TT.  That's why women usually get a better result from TT then men.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+2

A tummy tuck will make a tremendous improvement in physique, but losing additional weight will probably improve the result. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Flat stomach with a tummy tuck?

+2

You will obtain an excellent improvement by a tummy tuck.  It will address the loose skin, muscle laxity, and fatty tissue between your skin and muscle.

The determining factor in how flat your abdomen will be is the amount of fatty tissue you have intra-abdominally, under the muscle.     This can only be determined by an in office exam.

I recommend consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Will my Health Insurance Cover for a Tummy Tuck and for my Ventral Hernia?

+2

For a nice result and low risk you should strive toward a BMI of 25 or lower, which would take you down to 140 pounds. 

Although excess skin and fat comes out and the muscles are tightened, in a patient with a large intra-abdominal value a flat abdomen will not be the outcome. 

An actual exam will be a much better guide to advice than photos.

All the best. 

Realistic expectations

+2

I commend you for your weight loss and encourage you to continue doing so until you reach your plateau weight that you can easily MAINTAIN without severe changes to your lifestyle.  A simple test to see if you can have a flat tummy is to lay flat and see what your tummy looks like.  If it goes flat, there is a reasonable chance you can achieve that.  If it remains rounded, its unlikely you will have a 'flat' tummy.  You will always have an improved tummy but if you will not be happy without perfect, you will need to find a surgeon who will guarantee your results.

Curtis Wong, MD

Flat tummy

+2
Hi Triana. I agree that you have a nice shape. However to get the results you are seeking, you should try to lose more weight, around 10 more pounds would be good. Not only will that allow your ps to be more aggressive, but it will reduce your potential complication. I would also suggestdoing liposuction of the lateral thighs and upper abdomen and back. Seek out a board certified ps with experience doing TT's like your body. Good luck

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight before a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. It is best to be with in a few pounds of your optimal weight before your tummy tuck. It sounds like you have made the right dietary changes to lose weight. Keep up the good work. Once you lose the weight you will be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD

+1

Best to obtain IN PERSON evaluations. But over the internet guess is a full Tummy Tick with  uncle repair. 

Lose weight before a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss and getting into a good diet plan. I ask my patients to get to a weight that they can maintain. Losing weight in crash diet just to gain it back after the surgery is disappointing. Also, to lose so much weight that other parts of your body look unpleasant does not make sense either. If your main problem is your stomach, a Tummy tuck should give you a flatter stomach. You can lose more weight after the procedure too.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon