Doctor Recommendation for Liposuction on African American with Keloids

I am an african american female interested in having liposuction on my tummy. I have keloids, what would be the best procedure to do? How do I locate a surgeon who is familiar with what keloids is?

Liposuction for patient with keloids

Keloid formation is very common, especially among people of African and Asian descent. All plastic surgeons have had to treat keloids in their training or in their practice. The good thing about liposuction is that the incisions needed are very small. The keloid can be managed with steroid injections, scar massage and/ or silicone sheeting.

Washington Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and keloids

Keloids are well known to any plastic surgeon or dermatologic surgeon.  Liposuction does involve placing insertion sites in a few areas for the abdomen and each of these areas may become a hypertrophic scar or keloid if you are prone to them.   The friction of the cannula going to and fro through the insertion site can cause more trauma in the insertion site.  It is rare to develop any keloids within the subcutaneous tissues that undergo liposuction.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon