Local Swelling when Juvederm Ultra Breaks Down After Approx. 9 Months?

I used to have softline injected into the marionette lines around my mouth. I switched to Juvederm Ultra as the filler lasted longer. However, when Juvederm Ultra does break down after some months, I suffer from short term localised swelling. Is this common and is it OK?

Long-term swelling following Juvederm Injection

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Your clinical history is indeed unusual. Hyaluronic acid injectable fillers such as Juvederm Ultra can produce increased swelling in the immediate period (24-48 hours) following injection, as hyaluronic acids are hydrophilic (water-loving). This reaches a stable state and subsequently, as the product slowly breaks down over a period of months, the augmentation created by the filler resolves with time. 

Your clinical history is atypical of the findings normally seen with hyaluronic acid fillers. It would be beneficial to see some before and after photographs in order to make a better assessment of your case.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Juvaderm Ultra can last up to a year or more with only partial disappearance

+1

Juvaderm Ultra can last up to a year or more with only partial disappearance. Since hyaluronic acid is a normal component of the body its dissolution should not lead to any adverse effects.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm filler and swelling

+1

I have never had a patient mention to me, nor have I observed, that as Juvederm is metabolized, slowly, that there is a period of swelling after a few months. There normally is slow inrease in the resorbtion of the Juvederm molecules but the residual molecules attach to more of your own water molecules so that the volume maintains itself without getting bigger.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Filler dissolving and swelling

+1

The way the hyaluronic acid products resorb is by adding water so it may swell a small bit but this is gradual over time not all of a sudden.

+1

Not quite sure of your issue. Best to in person consult in UK. Regards From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski