Is a Local Ok to Repair Previous Breast Aug/lift? (photo)

I'm 10months post breast aug/lift. I received saline 500 cc under the muscle. I went in for follow up yesterday and dr wants to do a revision under a local to make my breast have better symmetry. He wants to remove some scar tissue on the implant that hasn't fully dropped and remove some excess skin on the other that's dropped more to lift it up to the other. Is it ok to do this under local only? My dr has a very good reputation and has been in this line of business for 15 years.

Breast revision surgery under local anesthesia

+3

Having this type of revision procedure with local anesthesia is certainly very reasonable. I have done similar procedures several times with just local anesthetics without problems. The decision to use a more significant anesthesia for this type of procedure is really very patient dependent. I give my patients the option of local or deep sedation for this type of thing. The additional cost in my office with a nurse anesthetist using propofol is only about $300-$400. I typically would not charge a surgeon's fee for this procedure, but would charge the anesthesia fee. Many patients prefer to save the additional money and do just fine. It will require several needle punctures to deliver the local anesthetic. I would administer something called intercostal blocks which are not too comfortable to have done, but provide almost complete numbing of the chest wall for the procedure. The intercostal blocks can be achieved in as little time as 5 minutes. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision under Local

+3

The plan of performing capsulotomy to lower the one breast implant and removing skin in the inferior pole of the other is a reasonable plan.  The revision will probably improve symmetry.  This type of revision can be performed under local.

Breast revision under local

+1

It sounds as though your surgeon's priority is to get you as close to perfect as he can, and the plan that you describe sounds like a good one.  Doing this under local anesthesia is certainly reasonable, though you might ask about adding some sedation, just to help your comfort level.  

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Is a Local Ok to Repair Previous Breast Aug/lift?

+1

Although much of what you describe can be done under local, I am a bit concerned about what will be done to repair the fold on the right side. Usually this requires rebuilding the fold and attaching it to the lining of the rib, and it is not always easy to get good local anesthesia there. 

I would assume that a procedure such as this would be done in an operating room, so adding the anesthesia fee would be rather modest, and to be it would seem worth it in terms of assuring that what needs to be done will not be compromised. 

Thanks, best wishes. 

Local anesthesia should be ok for you

+1

Smaller procedures such as these could be done under local anesthesia.  Your surgeon sounds reputable and I believe he would only offer to do this if he has done the procedure before and his or her patients did well.  You may want to ask for some sedation to make the procedure easier for you.  Oral sedatives such as valium can often make a patient better tolerate the pain of the injection of local anesthetic.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Yes the breast augmentation and lift revision can be performed under local anesthesia

+1

Hello

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Performing a breast augmentation and breast lift revision under local anesthesia for you can be done and is reasonable.  The breast implant pocket for the breast that is positioned lower will also likely have to be closed a little inn order to give you long-term results.  If not the skin of that breast, even though it will be tightened during your revision, will likely relax a little down the road.

Dr. Remus Repta

Web reference: Http://drrepta.com

Breast revision under local

+1

I personally think that revision of your issues under local could be very uncomfortable.  It is a decision that you and  he should discuss.

Breast surgery under local anesthesia

+1

Most breast procedures including breast augmentation can be safely and effectively performed under local anesthesia.  Anxiety for the procedure can be addressed with some additional medications.

Procedures performed under local anesthesia may take a little longer but many patients prefer this option due to the decreased recovery time post-op.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon