Local Anesthetic Effects During Submentoplasty

How does local anesthetic affect the rest of the body's circulation when used for a submentoplasty? Does it limit the circulation in the neck and head area?

Tumescent Solution is safe & effective

+2

Hello Skylar,

Very good question. As you know from the great answers you have received, the systemic effects of local anesthesia and local anesthesia with epinephrine (there is a difference between the two) are well known and accounted for during your procedure so as to be done safely.

I do almost all my cases with local anesthesia in a modified form called tumescent solution. This means the local anesthetic has been mixed with saline (water), epinephrine (like adrenalin which constricts the tiny blood vessels thereby reducing bleeding and also while allowing the local to work longer), and sodium bicarbonate (lessens the sting of the local).

This allows for smaller doses of local anesthesia while providing minimal bleeding, decreased bruising and excellent "tissue handling" for the Surgeon.

Good Luck,

Dr. Jafri

Local anesthesia systemic effects

+2

Thanks for the question. Typically local anesthesia, when used in appropriate doses, has the majority of the effect in the area it was injected.

The local typically serves two functions, decreasing blood loss by locally constricting blood vessels with epinephrine and creating anesthesia by temporarily blocking nerves that would otherwise transmit pain.

While systemic levels of these drugs can be found in blood plasma typically when used at appropriate doses it would be extremely unusual to have decreased blood supply to the head and neck from submental local anesthesia infiltration. The blood vessel constriction acts in a very local area.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Local anesthetic is used in every case.

+2

Skylar,

Local anesthetic is used in every case (submentoplasty, facelift, neck lift, etc) even if you are under general anesthesia. The biggest reason for the local is that it is mixed with epinephrine which helps control the bleeding during your surgery. It is important that you go to an experienced surgeon who operates in an approved facility. Even though the chance of any problem with the local anesthetic is low, you are correct to ask if it has system effects. If it is injected in too high of concentrations or in the wrong level, you can have issues and that is why it is important to have your surgery in a monitored setting.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD

David Shafer, MD

Local anesthesia for submental liposuction does not affect circulation.

+1

Hi.

Liposuction of the neck and jowls  (submental liposuction) requires a very small amount of local anesthesia.  This has absolutely no bad effect on the circulation anywhere in your body.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Submental liposuction and local anesthesia

+1

Submental liposuction is often performed with tumescent fluid that combines local anesthesia and epinephrine in a salt solution. The combination helps minimize pain and bruising during liposuction. It usually does not affect the body's circulation unless used in very his doses often when used in multiple areas of the body, and as long as it is not overinfused in the neck it should not be a problem for circulation in the head and neck.