Can I Do Local Anesthesia at Doctors Office for Scalp Lipoma Removal?

I need lipoma removal on back of head mid-scalp area, the size is about 2 inches wide, just soft, fatty liquid. Outpatient hospital is too expensive, can I do local anesthesia at a doctor's office?

Local anesthesia and lipoma removal

+2
I remove a lot of lipomas and typically they are done with a local anesthesia in an accredited facility with a well trained surgeon. I have done a few under general anesthesia and these were done due to large multiple amounts of lipomas removed at one time. Lipoma removal is a very safe and commonly performed surgery with local. The risk of complications are very minimal and should be a simple task for a skilled surgeon. Best regards!

Lipoma removal in dermatologist office

+2

Lipoma removal is usually a very safe , quick effective procedure. I have removed lipomas that are more than 4 inches wide safely and effectively in the office and this is common in dermatologists offices. So please get a second opinion before booking your surgery in a hospital for what may be able to be done safely, less expensively in another safe setting. As always, you must trust your doctor and they should do what is best for you, just let them know your preference for outpatient in office surgery to see if this makes sense.

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Lipoma removal using lidocaine anesthesia for scalp and forehead lipomas

+1

Outpatient lipoma removal is the option of choice for most non complicated lipomas. Lidocaine anesthetic is usually sufficient for the procedure. I perform the majority of my lipoma removals in this fashion. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Lipoma Excision?

+1

Excision of a scalp lipoma under local  anesthesia is widely performed. Seek consultation person with a well trained board-certified plastic surgeon.