Local Anestesia with Sedation For Rhinoplasty?

I'm really considering rhinoplasty and I've read lots os info about the procedure and most of the doctors in my area use local anesthesia with sedation, however what I have read is that this may be more dangerous because the air way is not protected and the patient may stop Breathing if too much anesthesia administered by dr, so my concern is how the dr does to complete the procedure and also control the anesthesia, if there is emergency and there is no anesthesiologist available?

Local anesthesia for Rhinoplasty

+2

The difference between general anesthesia and local with sedation (twilight anesthesia) is minimal when they are administered by an anesthesiologist. They are both safe and comfortable. However when the surgeon is also the anesthesiologist, often both the surgery and sedation are compromised as he has to do two things at once. In Canada this is still the case when there is a nurse administering the anesthetic under the doctor's guidance. Just local anesthesia is too miserable to really consider for anything more than a minor touch up.  

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia with sedation for rhinoplasty?

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia or general. I prefer to use general anesthesia to ensure my patients are as comfortable as possible. A board certified anesthesiologist is always present to monitor the patient. I would recommend communicating these concerns with your prospective surgeon prior to having any surgery. It is important to be educated as much as possible before your operation so you feel comfortable. Your surgeon should be able to answer any questions you have. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

General vs Local And Sedation for Rhinoplasty

+1

Most complete rhinoplasties are better done with general as precise maneuvers done on the nose should not be altered by patient movement.  Also protection of the airway is critical.  If local and sedation are used, an anesthesiologist should be present for monitoring and possible conversion to general.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty Anesthesia

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed with local anesthesia and IV sedation.  Many times minor procedures like a tip rhinoplasty are suitable for this type anesthesia.  For formal rhinoplasty I prefer general anesthesia which allows protection of the airway from any blood which might pass into the throat during surgery.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Local Anesthesia for Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

Most often I have found that many doctors try to keep cost down for patients and usually that means avoiding a general anesthesia. Certainly if you are having a less complex procedure some things can be done safely in that manner. I have found in my hands that most Rhinoplasty procedures are better suited with a general anesthesia. I agree that the airway can be compromised if there is bleeding especially. I feel it is worth every single penny that you spend having a procedure done safely. Only you and your surgeon can decide how complex your procedure is and whether general anesthesia would be safer.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Anesthesia for Rhinoplasty

+1

Local anesthesia with sedation is another form of general anesthesia. Both are safe when properly administered. Regardless of which technique is used in my clinic, I always have the anesthesia administered by a nurse anesthetist or anesthesiologist; I cannot concentrate on the the surgery and monitor the patient's level of sedation at the same time.

+1

Great question. You are correct but in each individual case options have to be weighed. Most boarded rhinoplasty surgeons offer either Local with IV sedation or local with general anesthesia. We want the patient at ease. 

Local anesthesia and iv sedation for rhinoplasty

+1

You are absolutely right!  I will sometimes use sedation with local but I alway use a board certified anesthesiologist to give the meds.  My focus is on getting a great result, there focus is to make my patients comfortable.

Local anesthesia with IV sedation is very safe and effective for rhinoplasty

+1
If a skilled anesthesia provider is utilized, and the surgeon is experienced at performing rhinoplasty with IV sedation, this is an extremely safe and effective method of performing rhinoplasty.  This procedure should be performed in an accredited facility. 

Anurag Agarwal, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia for rhinoplasty

+1

General anesthesia by a board certified anesthesiologist is the best option for patient safety during rhinoplasty procedure. It's important to protect the airway during the procedure so a  breathing tube  called a  laryngeal mask airway is inserted  in the mouth. This is placed to prevent blood from going down trachea. Patient's who have a rhinoplasty under local anesthesia with sedation can have conscious awareness of the procedure also known as being awake while there nose bones are being broken.  Best to be asleep for the Rhinoplasty procedure.