Is my desired size unrealistic or just beyond one doctor's abilities to achieve? I want to go from 34DD to 34B. (Photo)

Im a petite 26 yr old ( 5'5 ", 125 lbs ) wearing a 34 dd, desiring a 34b. My surgeon told me my breast tissue is very dense, making it difficult to remove volume. In the interest of keeping blood supply to the nipple she expected only to remove 200-250g from each side. She told me a b cup could only be achieved at the risk of many complications.

Breast reduction from DD to B

+2
It seems that removal of 200-250 cc. from each side is quite conservative. While your desire to go from DD to B is not impossible as there are many quite reliable techniques to preserve the nipple, I would suggest that it is an estimate of reduction (i.e. 4 cups sizes as opposed to 1 or 2) and your end result should be based mainly on visual appearance not actual cup size since bra sizes vary.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Is my desired size unrealistic or just beyond one doctor's abilities to achieve? I want to go from 34DD to 34B.

+2
The smaller you try to go with a breast reduction, the more likely there will be damage to nerves resulting in numbness and to blood supply resulting in tissue death including loss of the nipple and areola. I would never tell a DD I could get her to a B as it is very unlikely.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. It is a safe procedure, in which your plastic surgeon will reduce the amount of breast tissue, reshape your breasts, raise the nipple-areolar complex to its appropriate position (possibly making the size smaller, if needed), and ultimately ameliorate the possible complaints that you do have for the reason that you are having this procedure (e.g., neck/back pain, migraines, rashes/infections, etc).  Your size reduction is reasonable, and more of a breast lift with a small reduction of tissue. I do not think that such a small amount would cause any more risks than normal and is a reasonable size. Cup size, however, is a subjective measurement and varies among manufacturers. Thus, exact cup size can never be promised. 

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will discuss the procedure with you, examine, and assist you in determining what will be best for you. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Reduction

+1
Your breasts could be reduced to a "B" though it is very difficult to predict bra sizes after surgery.  The morphed images you have placed though appear to be smaller then a "B" It is true though that the potential risk of complications may go up the smaller the breast is made and may necessitate nipple areola grafting.  After a full examination I could better discuss what your specific relative risks are given your desired size change.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon