Liquid Nitrogen or 30 Percent TCA for Brown Freckle?

I have a brown spot on my right lower lid that I would like to remove. My dermatologist suggested either liquid nitrogen or 30% TCA.

I put the treatment on hold because I got pregnant. I would like to have it done now but I'm breastfeeding. Should I still wait until I'm done breastfeeding and which of the 2 treatments will be better?

The freckle got darker during pregnancy, it is not as dark now but is still noticeable.

Dark freckle

+1

Wait and do not do anything now, your hormonal status while lactating makes the pigmentation more darker and the results of eithr method will be difficult to predict.

Either method may leave a white mark behind. So depending on your color you may need a complete face TCA peel slightly deeper at the freckle.

Wait until after delivery

+1

In my experience the increase of melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) during pregnancy often results in post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. This means the lesion may come right back. Wait until after delivery and your first menses to know your hormone level is back to normal, then any of a number of treatments should do the trick: laser, 35%TCA, cryotherapy are the most commonly used.

Web reference: http://www.drmarylupo.com

New Orleans Dermatologist

Liquid nitrogen is better

+1

Liquid nitrogen better choice, in one or two sessions over a months time. TCA better for skin improvement.  Go find 3 docs to help you decide. Regards

Prefer Cryotherapy for eyelid lesion

+1

For a solitary lesion like this; in a location such as the eyelid, I would prefer gentle cryotherapy. This should definitely be performed with a cotton swab (tip) and rolled across the lesion. Not sprayed. There would be no contraindication with nursing.

The lesion darkened because the estrogen receptors on the melanocyes (the pigment making cells) were activated.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.