Gaining Wait After Liposuction

It will be a year in August that I had liposuction. I don’t exercise but I have a very strict diet that I follow. I’m noticing that I have gained some weight, mostly in my breast. My breasts are a size D now. I use to be a C. Is this all in my head or can it be that after my Liposuction whatever weight I've gained has gone to other areas of my body?

Liposuction does not cause weight gain.

+1

Hi.

After liposuction, weight gain cannot all go into you old bulges, because the treated areas have fewer fat cells. Weight gain now is more evenly distributed, including into your breasts. So your observation may be accurate.

You had liposuction to look better. What can you do to avoid putting on weight?!

Fat redistribution is common after Liposuction procedures

+1

This is a very common occurrence after liposuction. Your body has a preset program in the weight loss and gain mode to access or remove fat. This means that there is a specific order of the areas to which your body will add fat during weight gain, (or remove fat during weight loss).

When you undergo liposuction, one or more of these critical areas may be substantially reduced (in its capacity to store excess fat). When these fat storage sites (hips, stomach, arms, face, etc) lose most of their storage capacity, the body will use other sites lower on its preset list. In your case, the areas you had suctioned were probably high on the weight gain priority list for your body, so new areas (your breasts) are being used to store excess fat. Basically, liposuction will not change your ability to gain/loose weight but it will change the body’s distribution of that gain/loss.

Robert C. Bledsoe, Jr., MD

Gaining weight after Liposuction

+1

Your weight is the balance between calories in and calories out.

If lipo takes 5 pounds out, it doesn't mean you will now be 5 pounds lighter. Your body will reaccumulate excess calories as fat until you reach your previous weight. Since the fat storing cells are gone from the areas that were liposuctioned, other fat cells will pick up the excess. In your case, it was fat cells in the breast.

This is called fat redistribution. I tell my patients beforehand that it will happen. If you plan it correctly, you can lipo certain areas with full knowledge the patient will gain in other areas to get a better overall result.

See the link below for an example of what I mean.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Fat redistribution after liposuction

+1

Yes, you are absolutely correct. You will gain weight preferentially in non-liposuctioned areas after undergoing the procedure. It is for this reason that it is best to perform liposuction in an individual who is at a stable weight, in order to obtain and ensure a stable and long-term result.

The good news is that weight loss should restore the prior condition of your breasts unless you prefer to keep it that way.