Distorted Lips After Perlane Injections - What Should I Do?

I got my lips augmented with Perlane, to get a full but natural look. After the injection my lips looked very distorted and unnatural. I got another filler before, and although it only lasted a month, gave me a very natural lip shape. It seems unfair after I pay so much $$$, I need to get it "dissolved" to look normal. I tried to massage the areas, but its making the swelling worse (and not changing my lip shape any) Distortion isnt what I paid so much for, I paid for perfection. What can I do?

Perlane & lips

+1

Without knowing how much Perlane was injected and when, it's very difficult to answer your question. Consider posting more information or follow up with the provider after the initial swelling has gone down.

Uneven Lips after Perlane injection

+1

Greetings~

It's difficult to tell you a precise course of action without knowing a few more details that may make a huge difference...most importantly, how long ago were the injections?  Even if you didn't swell significantly from your previous treatments, you may have swollen significantly more this time and it is not unusual to swell quite asymmetrically.  If you have a deep bruise it can also appear much larger on one side and take 7-10 days to resolve.  Vigorous massage may not be your best option because you may be creating even more swelling and unevenness.  If it has been a few weeks and the uneven appearance has not improved, your best option is to have the product dissolved with hyaluronidase. I know this isn't what you wanted to achieve but unfortunately, a less than ideal outcome is a risk with any procedure. Hopefully it will right itself in a short time.

Grant Stevens, MD

Lip augmentation with Perlane

+1

If this injection was recent, then the asymmetries may be due to swelling. I would apply ice and give it a little time. Unfortunately, this does require some patience. Personally, I do not inject Perlane in the lips; I find that Juvederm Ultra and Restylane provide much more natural results.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with Perlane

+1

You did not describe when you got the injections?  If it was very recent, like in the past few days, you should give it a week or two for the swelling to come down. If it is still asymmetric, you may consider dissolving some of the product or augmenting the areas that are not as inflated?

Lips distorted after Perlane

+1

After injection with hyaluronic acid products like Restylane, Perlane, or Juvederm, the lips frequently swell significantly from the injection process.  Before any conclusions can be made, you should wait a few days.  Ice may help bring down swelling.  If the lips remain asymmetrical or too large, hyaluronidase can be used to remove excess product.  Alternatively, more product can be given to the areas that have too little volume. You should touch base with the physician that gave the injections for evaluation.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Distortion after Perlane in the lips

+1

If your injection was in the last couple of days, then wait and the swelling may go down significantly. Sometimes the lips swell to an  extremely large size and some doctors will treat with corticosteroids.  If your injections were more than several days ago, your doctor who treated you may treat you with hyaluronidase to dissolve the overcorrection. Give them the opportunity to make it right for you. Theyt too,  will probably want you to have a good result.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Perlane

+1

Perlane is high concentration hyaluronic acid used for nasolabial fold correction. I would not use it for the lips personally. Juvederm works much better for the lips. Your best option may be to inject the other side to achieve symmetry. You can use juvederm since it also is hyaluronic acid.

Siamak Agha, MD, PhD, FACS