My Lips Are Cracked During Accutane Treatments, Which Lip Balms Would be Best?

i do a treatment with accutane and my lips are cracked .,and i don't know what lips balm is good

Best lip balm is....

+1
... the one that works best for you. Accutane dry out your lips, skin and other mucous areas- 100% fact, and its looking after your skin that will decrease the side effects. We recommend several types of lip balms, but essentially its upto you what you prefer. The best time to place lip balm is at night, just before bed time. 

My favourite (in no particular order)

1. Lucas Paw Paw ointment
2. Plain Vaseline
3. Ceralip
4. Elizabeth Arden 24 hr Balm. 

The idea is to use these products FREQUENTLY- ie. 4-6 times a day. 

Hope this helps, 
Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist

Brisbane Dermatologist

Cracked Lips from Accutane

+1

Accutane can be excessively drying (which is the point!), but can lead to dryness of the nose and lips, particularly. Dr. Dan's Cortibalm is the best for the lips because it contains hydrocortisone, which helps soothe, heal, and take away redness. You can find it online or your pharmacy can order it for you. It should cost about $5-$8 for a stick. Aquaphor is great too, but isn't as easy to carry around and isn't in a stick, but I do recommend you use that at night.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

LIp Balm for Dry, chapped lips from Accutane

+1

My favorites are Dr. Dan's Cortibalm (which has hydorcortisone) for calming inflammation in combination with Natural Ice Sport spf 30 lip balm (which contains aloe and vitamins A, D & E).  Accutane causes sun sensitivity, so we recommend any spf 15 or higher lip balm daily as needed.  

If excessive dryness, redness and cracking are present or persist, we recommend a topical prescription corticosteroid-based ointment, as needed until better and then, back to the lip balms above.

Robert Strimling, MD

Check with your physician

+1

Cracking lips is a common side effect of Accutane.  Aquaphor is a great treatment.  However if it not working, you may have a secondary infection.  You should check with your physician as sometimes a prescription medication with mild steroid or antifungal is required.  Additionally, there is some suggestion that vitamin E orally can help with dry or cracked lips.

Beth Lertzman, MD
Rochester Dermatologic Surgeon

Chapped Lips From Accutane

+1

We recommend Aquaphor.  It is over-the-counter, effective, easy to find, and inexpensive.  There are many other products that also work well, however Aquaphor has been my stand by recommendation for 20 years.

Alexander Gross, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon