Swelling After Lip Fillers

they look so bad! my lips usually jessica alba sort of shape! is this just swelling and will it go down? please help im distraught thanks

its been around 48 hours and my lips look horrible soon as i left the room they looked bad ! i had dermal filler to my upper lip and its so swollen but not sore at all the middle bit of my lip is really fat and hanging down lips look sort of an M shape and this was really not what i wanted. i look so ugly and im so so depredded over it. please help. thanks x

Swelling after lip injection

+1
Swelling, redness, discomfort and bruising is common during the first few days following an injection treatment. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. If the swelling persists after that, please see your injector.

In the meantime, you can use cool, soft, flexible ice packs (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling. All the best.

Lips can be swollen and bruised right after injections

+1

I wouldn’t worry about lips looking horrible 48 hours after dermal fillers because they can be swollen and bruised. You really have to give it up to a month to see the result. And, certainly the first 2 days you would expect them to be fuller because the products absorb water which will over-correct the lips slightly at first.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip swelling

+1

It is not unusual to have lip swelling for 24-48 hours after filler injection.  I would give it at least this long before becoming too concerned.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling

+1

Lip swelling just after injections is common. It is also common for the next few days. Give it some time and they probably will come down.

Just post injection swelling vs. too much filler

+1

I'd give this a few more days.  The lips tend to swell quite a bit after injection.  I always have my patients "cool their jets" and keep an ice pack on their lips for 10 - 15 minutes immediately after injection.  If you still are unhappy a week after injection, ask your doctor about hyaluronidase injection.  This enzyme will break down the filler if the filler is hyaluronic acid (HA) and you will be back to your preinjection self very quickly.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Swelling after lip filler injection

+1

Restylane and Juvederm injection of the lips for augmentation can cause moderate swelling after the procedure.  This is due to the filler's affinity to bind to water.  This swelling typically should resolve in 24-36 hours.  See your injector if swelling or pain persists. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon