Can Lips Be Augmented Like So? (photo)

I love lips that naturally curl up at the ends even if the person isn't smiling. If one's lips are just a thin line across can they be augmented? I hope the pictures give you an idea of what I'm talking about. I KNOW this seems so weird, but I've always wanted lips like this. I hope you get the gist of what I want...

Creating the Ideal Lip

+2

Without knowing what your lips look like, it is hard to say exactly what needs to be done. The lips you showed have several things in common. They are full with a prominent, defined vermillion border and they have the corner turned up. The fullness and prominent vermillion are easy to create with fillers like Juvéderm. The upturned corners require a simple surgical procedure removing a rhomboid of skin above and lateral to the corner. Although this creates a scar in the area, it usually heals very well and practically disappears in a number of months.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

The Perfect Lips

+1

Injectables can create the type of lips that you have shown in your model pictures.  The upper turned up area at the top end of the red lip is referred to as the white rolled border. This border is best injected with Restylane, although other fillers will work, I feel Restylane is the best for this particular area.  To turn up the outer corner of the lips, an injection of a more-highly bonded filler, such as Perlane, is done just above the red lip.  This pulls the outer corner upward.  All your pictures show beautiful lips, but you haven't mentioned the lines that go from the lip to the nose.  These ridges are known as crista and are on either side of the depression in the middle of the upper lip, known as the philtrum.  These two lines can be delicately augmented in a younger person by using Perlane, and for those older patients who have lost that line, Perlane does a great job of creating these lines and giving back the Cupid's bow appearance to the upper lip.  

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation just so

+1

Of course, lips can be augmented with a variety of implants, including Restylane and Juvederm (Silikon 1000) is my personal favorite), and these materials can be used to attempt to reshape the corners as you desire.  I would avoid the scars that come with surgery in this area.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can Lips Be Augmented Like So?

+1

I have performed Lip Augmentation for over 22 years and while there are numerous ways to enhance the volume of the lips...creating that specific curl to the oral commissures would be very challenging.  I'm not sure the aesthetic improvement, which seems negligible to me warrants the scars and surgical intervention.

Lip Augmentation with Fillers

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm and Restylane will help to volumize the lip.  However, the slight "curl" you mention at the oral commissure (corner of the mouth), if not present naturally, can be simulated by injecting a very small dose of Botox into the Depressor Anguli Oris (DAO's) bilaterally. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation to produce a smile

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Juvederm or Restylane are the best options for lip augmentation. They are often used to elevate and lift the corners of the mouth. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. The video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Creating a lip where there isn't one

+1

Creating a nice pout with adequate red lip showing in a natural way is the goal of any lip augmentation procedure.  If you had this type of lip when you were a teenager it is much easier to do this than if you never had much of a visible lip.  Sometimes it is impossible.  there are surgical procedures to rotate the red part of the lip further outward, but there is a significant risk of visible scarring afterward (somewhat unpredictable).  I would try to see what could be accomplished with the synthetic fillers such as Juvederm first, before trying any surgical rotation of the lip.

Yoash R Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon