Can Liposuction Be Performed on the Abdomen Where Port is Fitted After Lapband Surgery or is There Danger of Damaging the Port

Can Liprosuction Be Performed on the Abdomen Where Port is Fitted After Lapband Surgery or is There Danger of Damaging the Port

Liposuction and Lap-band Ports

+2

Dear Gremlin,  Liposuction can be performed in the region around the lap-band port but it does require a bit more care and planning.  In our patients who have lap-band ports, we have developed a relationship with the lap-band doctors so we know exactly where the ports are-on the fascia or in the sub-cutaneous tissues-and how they thread the tubing from the port to the entry into the abdomen.  Once we have this knowledge, we have feel comfortable in proceeding if the patient is a good candidate for liposuction.   To date, we have had no episodes of damage to the ports or the lap-bands.  So the key is for your plastic surgeon and your lap-band surgeon to communicate before and plan the best approach before proceeding.  Hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Lipo of abdomen with a lapband port

+1

Hi Gremlin.  Liposuction can certainly be done on the abdomen in the presence of a lapband port.  All your surgeon has to do is to avoid the region of the lapband which is rather easy to feel.  My concern is the benefit of liposuction for someone who has had a lapband procedure for weight loss.  If you have reached your weight loss goal, you will more than likely have a fair amount of  excess skin and should seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and lap band port

+1

Liposuction can be performed in the abdomen after lap band placement. When I'm doing the liposuction around the port I will try to leave fat around the port untouched to try to seal off the port. The things I'm concerned about our damaging the port with the liposuction cannula and if I got a complication of infection with the liposuction transferring that infection to the port which could transfer the infection to the inner abdominal cavity.

There will be a lump in the area of the port and that is a shortcoming of the lap band procedure. Liposuction can be done but it is more difficult and they're somewhat more risk.

Wendell Perry, MD

Liposuction and lapband ports

+1

There is a danger that the port from your lapband procedure will be damaged or interfer with liposuction in the area. The ports can also cause conflicts with tummy tuck as well.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Lap Band and liposuction

+1

There is always a small chance that the port can be damaged during liposuction.  If liposuction of this area is avoided, then it is safest.

+1

Yes but! there is ALWAYS a danger of damaging the port. I recommend you consult with your lap surgeon for his clearance or recommendation of a PS