Liposuction Possible?

I recently asked about a tummy tuck alternative. Ive provided pictures. One is,at age 17, one is age 20, 3 months postpartum. I breastfed for 2 years exclusively, which aided my flater stomach due to calories burned by lactation. The third is now, almost from the second one. Wondered what my alternative would be. I mostly have fat, not skin. I do have skin around my belly button, more prominently noticed when I suck in my stomach. Would lipo be an option?

Liposuction for excess fat in the belly

+1

I have found that strech marks are not as an important criteria in evaluating liposuction patients as sagging wrinkled skin.  Almost any skin can get strecth marks if stretched outwardly quickly.  Meanwhile the elasticity and collagen properties of that skin may be normal. Meanwhile, an older patient or someone who has an inherited disorder or a lot of sun exposure, that has sagging skin like drapery may not develop a good result after liposuction as the skin may not retract well.  You may heal quite well after liposuction. if the skin does not retract well, you can always have an abdominoplasty later. In fact, there is good reason not to do liposuction and abdominoplasty at the same session for safety concerns so you may not have much to lose but the fat you wan to see go away.

Liposuction - Will I Be Happy With Stomach Lipo or Do I Need a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Hi Shellykm,

It's very difficult to give an absolute answer without being able to examine you in person but, based on what I think I see int the photos I would say the following:

1) You definitely have some fat (not a lot) that could be removed via liposuction, but

2) You appear to have some loose skin, too, (which would be expected a pregnancy) and that means that you may have some skin irregularities and asymmetries following the lipo. 

So the question is then whether you'd be happy with the result.  For your best result, you could have some lipo and then if you're not happy proceed with a tummy tuck - but that's a lot to line up ahead of time.

Bottom line is that I think you need to be examined by a few different surgeons and then make a decision based on the opinions you get from them.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

Based on your photo alone, it would seem that liposuction would be possible for you.  You should seek out the opinion of a board-certified plastic surgeon who can perform a proper examination and assess the elasticity of your abdominal skin.  If your abdominal skin has reasonable elasticity, liposuction would the be possible for you.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction possible?

+1

Liposuction can be used in pretty much any situation where fat needs to be removed.  The question is what will happen to the overlying skin.  As long as you have a modest amount of fat and the skin is of good quality, it is reasonable to discuss with a plastic surgeon the feasibility of liposuction.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and tummy tuck

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say but you do have alot of stretch marks on your abdomen which makes me think that the skin is very lax.  Lax skin will get worse with liposuction.

Liposuction versus Abdominoplasty

+1

While it would be great if we had a magic want to make the stretch marks and loose skin go away, it is not the liposuction cannula.  If you have liposuction, it would remove some volume, but leave you will the stretch marks looking even worse - like an empty bag.  The best option for you really would be a tummy tuck.  However, before deciding on surgery, you need to have an in person examination and evaluation.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Is liposuction possible?

+1

Dear Shelly, liposuction is ideal when there is excess fatty tissue without any excess skin, stretch marks, or muscle weakness. From your photos, it is apparent that you have excess skin around the belly button and stretch marks. Although liposuction is possible, it may make the excess skin and stretch marks more apparent. For optimal results, I would recommend a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Possible?

+1

Dear Shelley,
Liposuction is mainly used as a body sculpting mechanism.  When it is performed the elasticity of the skin remaining behind must be decent enough to allow for the skin to retract once the excess fatty tissue is removed.  Upon close observation of your abdomen it appears that you have some stretch marks in the peri-umbilical (bellybutton area) and in the lower right and left areas of your abdomen.  It is possible that these stretch marks might impede the retraction of your skin after liposuction.   The only manner in which to assess your dermal(skin) elasticity is to physically examine you.  If your skins elasticity is lacking and you undergo liposuction the skin remaining behind might be lax and produce a poor aesthetic result. 

Ernesto Hayn, MD