Liposuction: Too Much Fat Removed

Hi I had sub-mental liposuction and thread lift that did not yield good results. Basically to much fat was removed and it exposed my platysma bands. My PS removed the threads and performed a mini neck lift "without" incisions behind my ears. I still have some banding issues causing indentations and also my face is lopsided. I am now in repair mode and I'm looking for any advice on how this might be fixed so I may make a better informed decision.

Thread lift poor results; submental liposuction irregularities--now in "repair" mode.

+3

I am sorry you have had this occur; without seeing you before surgery, it is impossible to know what your concerns were, but obviously, thread lifting and liposuction beneath your chin did not "work." Perhaps you now know that you may have needed a necklift, direct submental fat excision, and anterior platysmaplasty rather than what you and your surgeon agreed upon.

It would be interesting to know if the chosen procedures were recommended by your surgeon, requested by you, or agreed upon after something else was recommended and you opted for less. Patients often don't know what "hyped" procedures are baloney (even if they are on Oprah or The Doctors), and unfortunately, a few doctors peddle their own baloney to unsuspecting patients. But I digress. Thread lifts of any kind have generally been shown to give minimal, short-term results at best, and totally worthless and perhaps causing problems at worst. Submental liposuction can be a good operation, but not when it is substituted for what is really needed for a given patient, or when direct excision can yield a smoother, more even result.

At this point, I would recommend waiting until all scar tissue has settled and softened maximally--this will take a minimum of 6 months and perhaps as long as a year. Then, and you can start the information-gathering process before selecting a re-operation date, see several senior, experienced, ABPS-certified plastic surgeons (was your surgeon a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, or the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Only ABPS-certified plastic surgeons can be in these organizations.) for advice about what is recommended to make things as good as possible. You CAN have a good if not great result--it just takes a proper plan and expert technique, as well as patience on your part. Good luck and best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Banding, distortion, and threads

+2

Sorry you have had to experience the proplems with threads and neck deformity.

It would help to see more views of your neck. From the look of your scar, the last operation was a very short time ago. You should wait a few months before any additional correction.

There are many reasons for neck deformity after surgery. The most difficult problem to correct is agreeesive removal of your playsma muscle. It does not appear to have been done in your case.

You will require a general anesthetic, exploration, and surgical correction of your neck. This may be done with resuturing, addition al suction adjacent to your "holes", or other more unusual steps.

Find someone with significant experience.

Best to you

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Correcting distortion of neck

+1
A thread lift can be very unreliable because there is a limited degree of control. Some of these distortions may improve with time. If not, a more traditional face/neck lift may help.

Neal Goldberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

You may need fat grafting

+1
I am sorry about experience and results. It will take time for your tissue to heal and I would suggest fat grfting to reverse the excess fat removal.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon