Should I Get Liposuction Done?

I'm 21 22 i'n July of 2011. I weigh about 240 plbs n 5"5. My thighs, stomach, hip, butt,arms, breast and face are my main oversize areas. My mother was tellinge about doing liposuction but I am not familiar or sure if it's safe for my age..I've been over weight on and off since I was 13. The highest weight for me been 236 and the lowest I got to was 205 since I was 13. I gain and put on weight like nothing. I try to eat healthy and go to the gym but I work 6days a week and 60-72 hrs a week at a car dealership. I don't want to be over weight anymore and will like to loose 40-60 plbs by the summer. I need great advise from expert doctors to inform me how to be healthy and loose the weight I want to feel, look and be nice and healthy. Any suggestions??

Liposuction is a Body SCULPTING and Contouring Procedure NOT a Weight Loss Procedure

+2
From your weight and height your BMI is 39.4 (with BMI 30 and over being OBESE and 40 and over being MORBIDLY obese). Your ideal weight (which is hard to match) is 126 pounds , over 100 pounds less than your current weight. Liposuction done in an ambulatory setting is limited to removing 5 liters of fat which is roughly 11 pounds. Although it will be an improvement, it would be a very modest almost improvement. Long term, as you get older and your metabolism slows down, your weight issue is sure to worsen. You may do better by seeing a Bariatric surgeon and see if you are a candidate for a Lap Band procedure. The operation is done through very small openings and can help you shed ALL the excess weight. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Liposuction is not for weight loss

+2

Respectfully, you need to see a weight loss surgeon and consider a lap band or gastric bypass if you have never been able to control your weight with diet and exercise.  Better yet, watch the next round of TV's Biggest Loser and get inspired that the even better way to gain control of your body is with proper diet and exercise.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Overweight and considering liposuction

+2

At 5"5" your ideal body weight is about 130 lbs and to be below a BMI of 25 (borderline between healthy and overweight) you should be approximatley 150lbs. This means that you should lose at least 90 pounds. Liposcution is NOT recommended. Even if you did proceed, it would likely not remove more than 20 lbs even if aggressive liposuction was performed. You need to consider consultation with a medical weight loss speicalist and possibly bariatric surgery.

No lipo now

+1
You need to change your lifestyle to lose weight. 30 minutes of exercise a day and a low carb diet will amaze you. Do not give up but do the right things starting today and watch the pounds fall off. You can do it! At some point yo may be ready for body contouring procedures but not right now.

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Lipo is for scupting not weight loss, consider lap band or gastric bypass?

+1

I would respectfully advise you to lose some weight and get to a stable weight before you consider cosmetic surgery. You will get the most out of the procedure. Consider lap band or gastric bypass if you have tried diet and exercize. Lipo is not a weight loss procedure.  However, lipo is for moderate sculpting and I do not feel that you would really benefit from having the procedure. Further, there is an issue of skin quality. Removing fat without having good elastic skin will just leave sagging skin devoid of fat. I do not think that would help you to reach you goals or make you feel any better. Last the complication rate dramatically increases when your bmi is greater than 30. Sorry.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Liposuction not a good idea at present.

+1

The most important change you can make is to adopt a healthy lifestyle which includes healthy food choices, moderate portions and a daily exercises regiment which becomes part of your daily life.  It takes determination and time for results but the rewards will be substantial.  Avoid fad diets and the "quick fix" products advertised.  Seek assistance from a dietitian who works with overweight patients and develop a balanced plan to follow.  Find exercises or sports you like to do and do something everyday.  At your young age, as the weight comes off your skin may snap back for a good contour.  If not there may be other procedures needed to give you the contour you are looking for.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Lose weight

+1

liposuciton is a reward for a healthy lifestyle.  Regular exercise and controlled diet are mandatory for satisfactory results and a happy patient otherwise you are wasting your time, effort, and money.  BMI is a ration to height and weight.  Anyone with a BMI over 32 is not a great candidate for liposuction. 

Christopher K. Livingston, MD

Liposuction and weight loss

+1

Liposuction is not an answer for weight loss. If you need to lose 50 or more pounds, then I would recommend dieting first before pursuing liposuction.

Weight Loss Should Precede Consideration of Liposuction

+1

At 240 lbs at your height, liposuction is not a good treatment option. Yours is a more significant weight loss problem that should first be addressed through lifestyle efforts. If that is not successful, then I would seek an opinion from a bariatric surgeon. Once you get to 160 to 170lbs then body contouring options can be considered which may include liposuction or excess skin removal.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not a good way to lose weight.  Proper diet and exercising is the best way to lose weight and changing the habit that made a person gain weight.  When you has lost the weight and want to improve your shape, then liposuction is one way to do it.  Good luck.

Shahin Javaheri, MD