My bruising is tearing my skin open; is that normal? (photo)

I had liposuction on my entire back and now I am bruising. My bruising is tearing my skin open; is that normal?

Bruising and open wounds after liposuction

+5

It is not normal to have open wounds after liposuction, but this can happen as a result of trauma to the skin from aggressive liposuction (especially laser or ultrasound assisted liposuction), allergic reaction to dressings or antiseptics used in surgery, or lack of blood flow to the area (possibly from the binder being too tight or from a lot of bleeding under the skin).

These appear to be superficial wounds, which usually heal without scarring. However, due to your darker skin tone, it may take several months or longer for the skin color to return to normal. After making sure you are not wearing your binder too tight, I would make an appointment with your surgeon. He or she may prescribe ointments or creams to help the area heal and can discuss how you can minimize scarring in the area (silicone creams or sheets and hydroquinone may be helpful). Best of luck.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Blistering after liposuction

+3

Blistering after liposuction is not normal. We suggest you call your surgeon today to have him take a look.

My bruising is tearing my skin open; is that normal?

+2

The photo on the right is so out of focus it is hard to interpret. The blisters are a sign of skin injury, and this could be from the liposuction, the bruising, or the open surgery that you seem to have had. 

Areas like this usually heal without any marks, but you should show these to your surgeon for specific recommendations on skin care in the injured areas. All the best. 

Liposuction and skin ulcerations.

+1

Skin ulcerations are not common from liposuction. If you had a heat source like laser lipo or vaser, then you may have a burn of the skin. Best to see your doctor.

Skin Slough after Liposuction

+1

You appear to be having superficial skin slough or compromise from some cause.  Is the binder too tight?   Was there an allergic reaction to something?  These are the two most common reasons.  Was there a laser component to the liposuction?  How aggressive was the liposuction?  These are all things that you should ask your plastic surgeon.  I would go to your plastic surgeon for an exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA