Struggling With Weight. Is Liposuction an Option?

I'm only 18 and I've always struggled with weight. My self esteem is on the floor due to my weight. I've tried exercising and dieting, but still do not get the results I would like to get. I'm 5'1 and weigh 150 pounds. I lost about 25 pounds because I use to weigh 175, but I'm really unhappy with my body now with the results of the weigh loss. I would really like professional opinions on what the best thing for me to do, before I really consider anything.

Liposuction is a great self-confidence booster and easy to undergo.

+3

You have worked out and tried dieting but are at a plateau.  Liposuction is a great motivator and works well and is easy to undergo under local anesthesia with being able to get back to work in 2 days.  Go for a consultation today.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and Weight Loss

+2

Steph,

Liposuction is not an option for weight loss.  Continue with lifestyle changes to stabilize your weight.  You are young and your body will continue to change even after 18.  Stay diligent!

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Liposuction and weight loss

+2

Although there’s no substitute for good diet and exercise, sometimes there’s only so much we can do to reverse nature’s cruelties. That’s where science comes in. No, reshaping your body isn’t as easy as going to the beauty parlor. Surgery is never 100% risk free and the healing process requires patience and determination.

Liposuction works best on patients who are of relatively average weight, but who need help with a problem area, or with shedding the ten pounds they regain between diets. If you have good skin quality and minimal sagging, you make an ideal candidate for liposuction.

Liposuction modifies volume by sucking out fat, and liposuction candidates need good skin tone. The procedure takes about an hour, the recovery takes just a couple of days, and there's virtually no scarring. I use several innovative forms of liposuction, including SmartLipo, in order to contour and resculpture the area while providing the most beautiful results with minimal scarring. SmartLipo, used in combination with other forms of liposuction or alone, is a procedure that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. Liposuction as an outpatient procedure under I.V. sedation can easily reduce the bulge that some people have in their abdomens. Because liposuction stimulates the skin to tighten, good elasticity provides a smooth contour after fat is removed.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction not for weight loss

+1
If you want to get liposuction to lose weight, then you'll be disappointed - it will not make a significant difference. You may lose just a couple of pounds, but you can definitely do that on your own without the risks related to surgery. In addition, removing unwanted fat with liposuction can leave loose skin, hiding the results of your surgery. Loose skin can be better addressed with a tummy tuck.

In general, however, it is best to achieve a normal and steady BMI before undergoing liposuction because it's safer for you and you'll achieve better results.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Liposuction is not good for weight reduction

+1
Liposuction is not for you now. You need a weight trainer. Someone such as a nutritionist who can make good recommendations and followup visits are an incentive for you to work hard at diet and exercise to see the weight come down. Your general physician might have already checked to make sure your thyroid is functioning at a normal level but if not, then it should be.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Weight loss and liposuction

+1

One of the most important things when losing weight is not just what you eat, but when you eat it. In general, it is better to eat very little in the 3 hours before you go to bed, and also drink water as much as possible. Another suggestion is to use some sort of compression garment  while you are losing weight, so as to minimize skin stretchiness.

Ultmately, if you are not getting the results you want, it is best to check a with a nutritionist first.

Hope that helps!

Josh Korman

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction NOT Designed For Weight Loss

+1

Generally speaking, liposuction is not a weight loss tool.  It helps to contour the desired areas and remove fat, while shaping the areas.  But, the amount of fat that usually is removed is not as much as people think.  A large liposuction is usually over 3liters, or roughly 6 pounds.  Most women are less then that with their liposuction, so you really do not lose alot of weight from it.  without seeing you, it is hard to give you an accurate idea of what may work, but liposuction should be low on thelist of treatments.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

You don't have to be thin to benefit by liposuction.

+1

Hi.

1) Of course, liposuction is not a treatment to lose weight.

2) If you have liposuction when you are overweight, you will still be overweight after wards, but your bulges will be gone, and your more attractive shape will help you feel better, and might even motivate you towards better weight management.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction for weight loss

+1

Do not use liposuction as a weight loss tool. It results in only modest weight loss and it is best for targeting reduction in localized fattty deposits.

Liposuction during weight loss

+1

Weight loss can be extremely difficult for some of us, and it is nice to look to liposuction as a motivation. The truth is that liposuction is very poor at controlling weight, or producing a significant change in weight. The best time always to consider liposuction is when you have reached a stable weight that you plan to remain at for some time, and then use liposuction to contour those areas which did not respond to the diet and exercise. Make sure you have incorporated healthy living and dietary habits and you will be well rewarded.

peterejohnsonmd