I had liposuction several years ago on my hips, I have pockets of fat that will not go away. What can I do to get rid of it?

Also why does it still hurt if someone hit me hard on my hips?

Fat Deposits after Lipo

+1
Fatty deposits years after lipo are either from fat that was gained after liposuction, areas of inadequate fat resection at the first surgery or unrealistic expectations.  It is hard to know which without an exam but the first two are well treated with further lipo.
Dr. Pyle

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Persistent pockets of fat

+1
If you have persistent areas of fat that do not go away despite your efforts with diet and exercise, you may be a suitable candidate for additional liposuction.

Roy Ng, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Resistant Fatty Pockets

+1
When you have pockets of fat that won't go away with exercise, you may be a good candidate for a second liposuction procedure.  It is also possible that you may be a candidate for a non-invasive procedure, such as Liposonix. This is an ultrasound device that heats the underlying fat which is then absorbed over 3-4 months by the body. It can be a really good answer for patients that have fatty pockets after liposuction.

It would be important to seek consultation with an expert physician/surgeon that has many years of experience with liposuction. Both Dermatologic surgeons and Plastic surgeons have experience with liposuction.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

+1
If you are dealing with isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue, with good quality overlying skin elasticity, you may be a candidate for additional liposuction surgery. Seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons for accurate/ethical advice. Best wishes.

+1
Revision liposuction may be very reasonable based upon your description.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Fat hips after liposuction

+1
  1. You may need a second liposuction or
  2. After liposuction, skin may loosen, causing sagging that looks like excess fat. Liposuction makes this worse -
  3. In this case, a lateral thigh lift may be better.
  4. The pain? It is normal to hurt if hit hard on the hip but after liposuction there is less fat over the bone.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Residual, or recurrent fat on hips after lipo

+1
Hi Raybug01

If you have tried diet and exercise, and feel that you have given it a good try, then you have to decide how committed you are to ridding yourself of these problem areas.  A second round of lipo would be in order. Laser lipo (Lipotherme for example) would be helpful to get through the scar tissue.

Hope this helps.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD