I Had Liposuction About a Year Ago from a Doctor That Had High Credentials. I Still Do Not See a Bit of Difference.

The back of my arms are a little bit smaller but nothing else has changed even when looking at the pictures the doctor took. He acted as though it took well with the exception of my love handles but it did nothing for me. No one can tell. I am not a very big girl but wanted a little more contouring done due to pregnancy. He told me that he had never seen such compressed fat on a person than he has on me and it made the results different than expected. Does this make sense?

Variable Response to Liposuction?

+2

Your question does not make clear which areas were treated, apart from your arms, so it is difficult to answer your question.   What I am going to do is to try to explain the differences in fatty tissues.

There are different types of fatty tissues in your body.  I am going to simplify the discussion and just contrast the differences between two different kinds of fat, although in reality there are many different kinds of fat.

Some areas (parts of your back) for example, have very dense, fibrous fat.  Think of the kind of white dense fat you might see on strips of bacon, for example, to get an idea of what I mean.  Other areas of your body have loosely packed fatty tissues.  Think of soft yellow chicken fat to get an idea of what I mean about that.  Now, armed with those concepts, consider what happens when a surgeon is treating areas of dense, firm fatty tissue- only miniscule, microscopic amounts come out with each pass of the suction tube through the tissues.  It is hard work getting that kind of fat out!  In fact, I have used Ultrasonic Liposuction, as well as mechanical suction machines to help get a better result in that kind of fat.  

The soft yellow 'chicken fat' tissues, in contrast, are really easy to remove, even using the simplest technology.  More fat is removed with each pass of the tubing through the tissues, so fewer passes are needed to get to the desired result.  In the end, the firm fat needs many more 'passes' to get the fat out, and therefore will have more swelling, and take a lot longer to return to normal as compared to the soft fat which was taken out easily and returns to normal in a few weeks.  

When areas of the mid and upper back are treated, it may take months  before the tissues are completely healed, and typically there is tenderness to the touch and tissue swelling for a very prolonged period.  In contrast, areas of soft fat return to normal in about a month or so.

I hope that helps clarify what happens in different parts of the body.  Meanwhile, I think readers will be off bacon and chicken for a long time!

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Liposuction Results?

+1

To give you an accurate assessment it would be necessary to compare before and after pictures. Obviously, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to evaluate your results. You may want to visit with him/her to discuss your concerns.

Liposuction didn't produce desired results

+1

I would discuss volumes of fat removed wtih your plastic surgeon. Perhaps alternative techniques, such as ultrasonic assisted lipoplasty, could enhance the result.

Liposuction

+1

I am not sure what he is tallking about, but if you feel that you did not get the result that you wanted, you should talk to him about it or go to a different doctor.

Liposuction and fat reduction

+1
If there is fat to remove and there was significant ccs of fat that was in fact removed with liposuction then there should be reduction in volume. Is the fat is mixed with many collagen bundles as is more common in male breast, lovehandles and secondary liposuction cases, the fat is more difficult to remove. In those cases I have found smaller cannulae to be helpful as well as powered liposuction. if there was not much fat there before surgery and it is a muscle issue then liposuction won't help enough.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Seeing results after liposuction

+1
It is difficult to comment without seeing before and after pictures, however the results of a liposuction depend on several factors.  A doctor with 'high credentials' is not a guarantee for a perfect result, nor do 'high creditials' necessarily mean much.  When choosing a surgeon, make sure that they are board certified in Plastic Surgery.  There are may official sounding organizations out there that require nothing more than a payment for the purchase of a membership.  There is no required testing or other formal examination of the surgeon's skills and knowledge.  However a "Board Certified in Plastic Surgery" designation means that the surgeon had to go through a rigorous residency training at the end of which he/she had to pass a comprehensive examination.
With regards to the appearance of the outcome... liposuction is a contouring procedure and more fat you have more contouring can be done.  If you did not have a lot of fat to begin with (but you may have had excess skin after your pregnancy) then the results would be less dramatic, and perhaps invisible when wearing clothing.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD