Liposuction? Will It Work? (photo)

I've been thinking about getting liposuction on my belly ever since - already as a child, when I was really skinny, I had this strange "pointed" belly. So I went to see a surgeon and he said, that there were many "layers" of fat and hence, he'd need to make a lot of incisions and it would be very expensive. But the next surgeon I went to see said he could do it "normally", two incisions, he uses the PAL-system and is very cheap compared to the other. Do you see a problem with this? THANKS

At the patient test for liposuction.

+2

If you pinch in area which doubles up the skin and subcutaneous fat and is more than an inch liposuction will probably help. This is a rough rule of thumb but useful tool.

Liposuction? Will It Work?

+2

Liposuction of the abdomen can be performed through 2 incisions, and I do this all the time.  I can liposuction the entire abdomen and the upper and lower back and transfer fat to the buttocks with 3 incisions.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Costs of surgery and results

+2

There is usually zero correlation between costs of cosmetic surgery and results.   I agree generally  with the person who would use two incisions.   Many incisions and discussions about this layer and that layer makes no practical sense to me.   There are different layers but  two incisions will do it all.    Possibly consider the guy who does two incisions.   I have been doing this since 1982 and two incisions  should work very well as does PAL. Before anything see a real surgeon with FACS by the surgeons name.   Definitely , first get a third opinion from a surgeon certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery before any surgery.   My Best.  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction? Will It Work?

+2

Without an in person exam, I cannot tell you if liposuction is the best choice here. But I can say that you made the better choice among the two alternative surgeons. 

I neither was a plastic surgeon, but rather a practitioner for whom liposuction is the only tool in the toolbox, I would urge you to get an opinion from a plastic surgeon who could offer whatever treatment was felt to be the best for you. Regards.

If the fat is above the abdominal muscles liposuction can be performed

+2

Thank you for the question and the photos.  Any fat that exists between the skin and the abdominal wall can be liposuctioned.  Power assisted liposuction (PAL), ultrasound assisted liposuction (UAL), laser assisted liposuction (LAL), or standard liposuction can all be used with comparable results.  Any fat that is below (deep) to your abdominal muscles cannot be liposuctioned.  Some patients may also have abdominal wall laxity (think of it as a genetic hernia).  This will have to be tightened to correct the protuberance or roundness that you are seeing if that is the case.  Liposuction of the abdomen in your case should only require 2-3 small (5mm) incisions.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Will liposuction work

+1

Thank you for your question about  liposuction for your belly.

• Your surgeon should ideally be a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who makes sure that your tummy bulge is fat - not loose muscle or a hernia,
  • To be sure it is fat - stand up straight, tighten the tummy muscles and pinch  the skin - an inch or more suggests fat,
  • PAL liposuction of the tummy at a reasonable price sounds a good approach, Hope this helps. Best wishees.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Liposuction? Will It Work?

+1

Very hard to compare the two surgeons without more information. Where both boarded Plastic surgeons? Is the planned operation under local, local IV sedation, local/general anesthesia? One is using the "PAL" system what type of liposuction is the other using? 

PAL is Terrific

+1

I would not worry about the type of machine the surgeon is using because ultimately liposuction results are dependent on the surgeon. Companies like Smartlipo did a lot of straight to consumer marketing but it is the surgeon that should decide on the technique used. All surgeon have different price points and lipo is easy and fast and really shouldn't cost a lot of money. The real question is will the surgeon stand by his results and offer free touch ups if more is needed which is common. Also, how will they handle complications which happen as well. I have no idea what that surgeon is talking about in terms of "ELITE" credentials? I would only go with a board certified plastic surgeon, of course. Also, there don't need to be any "incisions" but just 2mm punctures and you should ask for "as many as possible for the results you need" because they are small and will heal.

Joshua B. Hyman, MD